Pinus maximartinezii seeds

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Tree Nut, May 21, 2012.

1. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

That pretty much excludes everything else except perhaps Pinus sabiniana.

Pinus maximartinezii can have up to 24, the highest cotyledon number for any plant.

2. Winterfell

Winterfell Member

They are a little easier to count right after they slip out of the shell this pic a little better but they are thin some hidden behind another

Attached Files:

3. coniferfifty

coniferfifty New Member

Was this a "natural delivery" or did you help somewhat with the seed caps departure? lol At some point I usually lend a helping hand but with TLC

4. Winterfell

Winterfell Member

I check travel advisories periodically. Parts of Zacatecas are considered unsafe by American authorities. And I understand the native range of this species is all privately owned. I need to find some like minded people to travel with there who speak better Spanish than I do and who can help me get around. I also want to visit cerro potosi and collect pinus culminicola. I am also interested in some interesting agaves, pinus nelsonii, some other Mexican pines, which I think have horticultural / botanical value in my part of the world and which are rare or absent from the horticultural trade or even in botanical collections. To quote Jesse perry ". . . And then, one by one, the scattered trees disappeared, as the flashing machete took the branches and then the stem, until one day there were no more -- ever. When that moment occurs, something terrible has happened to our planet. A shock wave should pass around the earth, a deep quiver should be felt in the earth and sea, all sentient life should sense a moment of deep alarm. For man has struck another blow against life on our planet. another thread has been withdrawn from the intricate web of life and we are all weakened by the loss". A botanist wrote that, but it could have been doctor Seuss. I have a son now and I want his world to be just as majestic and beautiful as mine.... Or, if I dare to dream, even better.

5. Winterfell

Winterfell Member

I allowed them to slip out naturally takes a few days. I am handling these carefully so, while I was tempted to break the shells, I didn't for fear of hurting the seedlings.