Appreciation: Pinus contorta & Pinus thunbergii

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by wcutler, Jul 10, 2020.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

OK, fourth try to post a tree with the right name, would still welcome being corrected. I think this is Pinus thunbergii because of the distinctive leaning bole, the paired needles that are twisted but straight. I even think the cone close-up shows diamond-shaped apophyses and mucronate umbos (from the Vancouver Trees app), but I might be playing a little loose with those terms that are not actually in my vocabulary, but I did look them up.

I was going to post what I assume is a slime mold, wanted to name the tree that it's on.
    PInus-thunbergii_QEPark_Cutler_20200708_153048.jpg PInus-thunbergii_QEPark_Cutler_20200708_153103.jpg PInus-thunbergii_QEPark_Cutler_20200708_153106.jpg PInus-thunbergii_QEPark_Cutler_20200708_153117.jpg PInus-thunbergiiQEPark_Cutler_20200708_153023.jpg

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I have a small pinus thunbergii ' Japanese black pine ' in my garden. I have posted three photos taken today for comparison purposes.

Attached Files:

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Sadly the tree in the first post is just Pinus contorta - spiny cone, foliage with multinodal shoots, fairly smooth bark. The 'slime mould' I think is just resin bleeding from an old wound (probably a split in the forked trunk after a storm).

Here's a couple pics of the real thing:

Attached Files:

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Thank you - you saved me some trouble. You may change the thread title if you want.

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Thanks! I've changed the title to include both, hope that's OK!