Pictures from england....

Discussion in 'Photography and Art' started by RICHARD MASSON, Jan 10, 2009.

1. RICHARD MASSON

RICHARD MASSON Active Member

Some pictures from England ....
    Nicotiana in the garden, Tulips at Hadlow Kent, Gunnera also at Hadlow, two photos of the UK National Arboretum in Autumn 2008, plus beautiful Worcester Pearmain apples ripening on the tree in the front garden a summer or two ago...
    I have added a few more pictures from England.
    The first - can someone turn it upright - have not mastered that - is a huge Verbascum - they grow wild - and at 5ft/6fft tall are amazing. The next is intersting as the plant bears flowers at "stages" along its stem .. do not know its name... the (next)yellow plant caught my eye for the sheer brilliance of colour as did the "Papaver" ie poppy-- makes a good screen saver - for a while. Then two photographs of Gunnera leaves - the amazing huge plant that normally lives beside water - original picture 3 is its seeds - or are they spores? If you care to enlarge the last photo it (may!) remind you of "Star Wars" ie when they - in the space ships zooming along inside the "death star" streets yes! or -- or maybe it does not! Anyway makes a great screen saver. The plant is amazing and I think I read somewhere that it makes some Nitrogen with Cyanobacteria it its leaf stem .. but whatever it is spectacular and in the Summer here you can stand under the massive and beautiful leaves .....with the sunlight coming through.

Someone asked me the names of plants in Photos 9 and 10 (regret accidentally deleted e mail) They are: Phlomis fruticosa and Euphorbia coralloides.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  2. bertoli55

bertoli55 Active Member 10 Years

Hi, great photos. England must be beautiful in autumn -strong colours.
    ciao bertoli

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  3. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Yeah but imagine the amount of leaves to rake up!:}

4. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

Amazingley beautiful!!!!!!!!! On the top row,3rd picture what is that? If you know.

5. bertoli55

bertoli55 Active Member 10 Years

Chungii, the leaves hmm -I don't think I'd mind so much if they were such beautiful colours. I still get the leaves but they are brown, it's not really cold enough for the leaves to colour up and the non deciduous trees just shed all year round :)

Blake09, Richard wrote that the photo is of a Gunnera. Have a look on Google -it's a pretty amazing genus

6. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Yeah, I mentioned in another post the closest thing to autumn colour I've seen here are Lagerstroemia or 'Crepe Myrtles' and even then it's not what you could call a comparison to some of the great photos like these we get to see.

7. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Chungii V you can grow bannanas and have tropical splendour I will just have to put up with the leaves in all their golden and red hues. Make great compost too. Richard Lovely photos I can just about taste those apples. Unfortunatly the possums would have had them long before this if they were my trees. I noticed the wild apple up the road is already barren of its new fruit. Probably parrots did that one over.

Liz

8. nic

nic Active Member 10 Years

Yes, indeed, a green Death Star.
    I've got both in the line above in my (Scottish) garden, not visible at the moment, and I'm damned if I can remember the name of either.Were you in someone's herb garden?

9. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Gunnerra spp. It's the inflorescence.

10. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

The Gunnera really jumps out.

Actually, I think apple is a very under-used form of landscape color.

Nice photos.

Thanks for sharing