Patio Garden Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by globalist1789, Feb 11, 2006.

1. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

Hello,

I have a rather large southward facing patio that I would like to grow some food plants on. I tried scarlet runner beans last year, that plant grew to spectacular proportions, truly magnificent, but then I only got about 6 beans :( I realized that I live in a very urban area that doesn't have any bees! I would still like to grow some food, but it can't really be anything that will require pollination. So, my question is: would any of you be willing to suggest plants that a) will do well in containers, and b) don't require pollination to harvest? I'm already planning mixed salad greens and swiss chard, any other hi yield suggestions?

Thank-you all in advance

2. Gordo

Gordo Active Member 10 Years

Are you sure its a pollination problem and not soil problem? (i.e. too much nitrogen)
    How heavy did they bloom?

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Have a look at food demonstration gardens at VanDusen Botanical Display Garden on Oak Street and also near Marine Drive at UBC Botanical Garden (park at main garden offices, walk through pedestrian underpass beneath Marine Drive).

4. globalist1789

They bloomed very well, it's just that the fruit never formed. Well, a few beans did, but you could hold them all in one hand. I'm pretty sure that it was due to no bees. I never seen bees out there.

5. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Have you considered providing houses for mason bees? I'm sure they'll help pollinate your crops.

6. globalist1789

No, I can't say that I have. It is only a patio, and I'm not really keen on having any sort of nesting insect out there. Perhaps if I have a whole rooftop, but I don't. Besides, I like to have my windows open and I don't need bugs escaping the heat into my home :)

7. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

8. globalist1789

Hi,

I have a VERY ironic update. I stated this thread months ago because I had no bees for my plants.... Well that has changed.

Have any of you read the short story "The Monkey's Paw" (or seen the Simpsons episode by the same name)? It's about wishes coming true in the worst possible way. So, I have IDed some bees making a nest in a beam above my patio. They are "red-tailed bumble bees" and the have hives of up to 300 bees!!!!!! This is not good. lol!

The irony is too sharp for me. I should post this on a Lit forum too. Needless to say, the bees have to go. Too bad too; I was so glad to see them at first and still think they are nice and cute, but letting them stay is simply not an option on a apartment patio.

Just thought that someone out there might get a chuckle,
    Michael

9. Junglekeeper

I hope your friends will be transplanted to a good home. If you're finished with the paw, I'll have a go with it ;)

10. Junglekeeper