"Partner" plant for a Weeping Podocarpus?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by barrolini, Feb 26, 2008.

1. barrolini

barrolini Active Member

Last year I acquired a Weeping Podocarpus (podocarpus gracilior) for my living room. After dealing with an initial mealy bug issue, and thanks to the watering and care recommendations of several forum members, I am pleased to say it has become a truly impressive feature plant.

Now I need to add another feature plant to the same general area. I am confining my search to narrow-leafed varieties and, at this time, I have narrowed my search down to a Ming Aralia (polyscias fruticosa) or a False Aralia (dizygotheca elegantissima).

My searching has led me to believe that, unlike my Podocarpus, a Ming Aralia can be very finicky and requiring of much care and attention, particularly in relation to watering. The False Aralia, while perhaps not as striking in appearance to me, nonetheless seems to require much less demanding care and maintenance.

So my questions are:
    1. Am I correct in my impression that a Ming Aralia may be quite finicky? (And thus not a good life-style choice for me)

2. Am I correct that a False Aralia will involve less demanding care?

3. Does anyone have any other suggestions as to a plant that might meet the parameters I have indicated?

Any and all ideas welcomed as always.

Barrie