Pampus grass how to care for and prune

Discussion in 'Poaceae' started by greenthumb2, Jul 7, 2007.

1. greenthumb2

greenthumb2 Member

We have an old pampus grass. It's unsightly. We want to prune it and shape it. How?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2007
  2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

What does it look like now?

3. greenthumb2

greenthumb2 Member

It's large, has alot of dry leaves on it, toward the bottom of the plant with greener leaves on the top. One of the messages I read, said to cut down to 2' in March. There are two plants together and I actually like the privacy, so I want to be sure it will grow back and look more shapely and alive.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I wouldn't cut it all down now, it's too late in the season.

5. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

The dry stuff will pull out by tugging. Make sure you wear heavy gloves. You can tie the green part up to keep it out of your way while you do it. The stuff makes good compost material so just put under a tree or hedge and it will break down.

Liz

6. Funkey Chicken

Funkey Chicken Member

At least here in Portland, our Pampas has proven very forgiving of brutal trimmings. After an ice storm a few years back I pruned our entire pampas right to the ground, thinking it was a lost cause. To my amazement, it was back to full size (about 7-8' tall) by the end of the following growing season.

Short of "mowing" your pampas, pulling the blades does seem to work well, but do be very careful and wear some eye protection while rummaging around in there, or you can self administer the death of 1000 cuts.

7. Furst Gardin

Furst Gardin Member

Does Pampas Grass require any fertilizer or 'feeding'? If so, when should I do this? I live in Mission, BC.