Pampas Grass

Discussion in 'Poaceae' started by Davezzzzzz, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Davezzzzzz

Davezzzzzz Member

I think I'm talking about Pampas Grass.
    Mine is 6' plus high and about well 8' across..its doing well and a favorite.
    Can anyone tell me whether its best to leave the seed stems (flower stems) in or take them out.
    Mine has 5 and they are about 9 feet tall.
    Just want to do whats best for the plant.
    Can anything be done with the seeds ??
    Thanks

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

There are a whole swack of threads about Pampas Grass in the Grass (Poaceae) forum here.
    To determine if you actually have Pampas Grass, compare with the GIS.

Personally, I cut my seedheads off and burn them. Then again, it's invasive in my garden if I don't do that. You may wish to save your seed and plant more grass eventually. Once it's well on into autumn for you, I'd reccomend burning the actual poomf of grass to the ground. It will come back next year even more vigorously if you do this. If you don't, there's a good chance that it will hollow out towards the centre of the poomf.

3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

I have read recommendations to leave the poomf (nice word, lorax!) intact till spring, then give it the chop. Dunno about that burning thing, though...here, there are city ordinances banning open fires. I suggest that Dave6z check before whipping out the Zippo.

4. Davezzzzzz

Davezzzzzz Member

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Only burn it if it is well clear of anything else that could be damaged by an intense fire!

Is this a new technical botanical term? ;-)

6. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Davezzzzz: to ensure seed survival, place a ziplock or other smallish bag over the top of the seed head, zip it closed as far as it will go, then cut the stem just below the feathery part. Then transfer the seed to paper bags and store in a cool, dry, dark place until you want to plant again. After you've dealt with the feathery bits, you can cut the seed stem at ground level.

Michael: Yes. It's a new technical botanical term, specifically for clumping grasses and feathery-foliaged plants. Descriptive, no?

7. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

I'd have thought it was more descriptive of the act of setting fire to a Pampas Grass . . . light it, and it goes POOMF! ;-)

8. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

After the 'WHOOSH' of the flame thrower, before the sound of sirens approaching, and to be followed by the 'AIEEEE!!!' of neighbors running for their lives.---So, Dave...open fires are legal in your area...what about the possession of a flame thrower??? As Robert Duval said in "Apocalypse Now": "I love the smell of napalm in the morning." Or the POOMF.

9. Davezzzzzz

Davezzzzzz Member

I will give this seed collection thing a try....thanks for the advice folks its appreciated.
    May have to cut to get at the seeds though they are looking to be about 12' now.