Palm tree with PAINTED white trunk - HELP

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by bettie_jon, Sep 18, 2006.

1. bettie_jon

bettie_jon Member

hello, i have been SEARCHING AND SEARCHING for what tree this is. it looks like a queen palm tree, but for some reason, people paint (or it looks like paint) but the trunk is painted a bright white. its not natrual. can someone help me identify what the purpose of this is? thanks so much for your help. you can mail me at bettie_jon@hotmail.com
    THANKS

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

To make the tree more visible, and so prevent (or at least reduce the risks!) of road traffic accidents at night on poorly lit streets - that's the usual reason, though there may be others.

3. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

I have seen fruit trees painted on the bottom of the trunks. it was explained to me by an old time gardener that the theory was to reduce sun burn to the bark and to reduce insects by creating a 'hot' area of sun reflection off the paint reducing the likelihood of insect movement across the painted zone.

could be a load of hogwash but thats what I heard. :)

4. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

I believe there's truth rooted in both theories. I've seen it done on fruit trees in orchards (no risk of a car crash there), leading me to think insect and sun protection is foremost.
    As to the specific tree you're searching for, who knows. Many are treated this way.

Cheers, LPN.

5. bettie_jon

bettie_jon Member

great. does anyone know if any specific paint is used?

6. Dixie

Dixie Active Member

water based, not oil based latex paint

7. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

I have seen although not written down , a recipe for whitewash that was used on fruit trees etc. ingredients included : hydrated lime, softsoap (old fashioned gooey stuff not readily available) and warm water, normally sprayed on a nice sunny day so it dries quick. older garden books may have a recipe but I have had a hard time finding anything in current tomes.

new info:
    http://www.rootsweb.com/~tnstewar/makedo.htm#WHITE WASH
    http://www.ajc.com/friday/content/epaper/editions/friday/home_garden_14bce48802b6d07a0037.html (a bit more than halfway down the page)
    http://pecankernel.tamu.edu/insect_update/weeviltraps.html (again, about halfway down the page)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2006
  8. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

I've seen it done on utility poles on roadsides (no risk of insect and sun protection problems there) . . . :-)

9. oscar

oscar Active Member

rofl@ Michael...........thanks guys, i was asked that question a while ago, the palms in holiday resorts painted white around the trunks, my guess was for the drunk guests to see their way back, without walking in to too many trees, hehehehee.

10. ghiggs

ghiggs Member

I'm in Venezuela, and was curious about the purpose of the white paint too. Down here they told me:

"There are little bugs that live on the ground that crawl up the trunk and go into the folliage. It's gross when they drop into your hair. The bugs don't like walking across the white paint, so they don't go up into the tree."

The trees that have it don't seem to be any healthyer than the trees that don't.

11. smivies

smivies Active Member

Similar reason I was given in Mexico. The white paint allows the birds to see the bugs better as they climb the tree & can then catch & eat them. I suspect there is truth to all the reasons given though the white paint it applied 'carte blanche' rather then just to the trees that would really benefit.

Simon