Identification: palm id ?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by devinrae55, Oct 28, 2007.

1. kv466

kv466 Member

usually when they say this, you're getting majesty palm...i've never seen only small and with that tinge but it could be...at first sight, i thought spindle like someone else did also...

2. kv466

kv466 Member

If it indeed is a spindle palm, which it totally looks like it, then you should be fine with it indoors throughout most of its life. I only say most cause I've never grown one indoors and don't know if it will actually get to full size as it would planted in the ground in full sun. No matter what, let it have plenty of light and most of all, enjoy~

3. Canadianplant

Canadianplant Active Member

i hve the same plant you have, only smaller. Its in a sw window, and its in mirical grow moisture control soil. It seems to like it quite a lot, and hast gottin infested with spider mites like the rest of my plants did ( damn dry calgary air).

We ( us on the forum ), hade a long convo about it and decided that it was a triangle palm. I cant find the thread that it was in though. If i find it ill let you know.,

4. Canadianplant

It is really hard to say what they are. THe only difference that i noticed is the pattern the leaves are in and how far apart the leaf blades are. IF you can get a few closer pics of the leaves and the trunk, we shoudl be able t figure this out

5. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

I thought it was figured out, Spindle palm, no?

Ed

6. devinrae55

devinrae55 Member

I see what you mean about the triangle too, they are very similar. I took some more pics, I can say that if you put your hands around the trunk, the shape of it feels like a triangle.

The first two pics are just the trunk and base
    The second two are the underside of a frond, and the above view of the plant
    The 5 pic is of a little bottom leaf, you may have to enlarge it to see the spots. (From what i understand if the plant has a defficiency in nutrients it steals from the older little leaves at the bottom, thus giving the bottom leaves brown and yellow spots)
    The last pic is another full shot, you can see my dead looking banana plant in the background, i cut its bruised leaves off and brought it in for the winter, not sure if it will live.

Attached Files:

7. Canadianplant

the banana plant is a yucca of some sort, drought resistant and like lots of light. I definetly have the ame plam as you do, no questions. it looks like a mix of both palms when i liik at it.

8. edleigh7

I believe it is Yucca elephantipes...

Ed

9. devinrae55

devinrae55 Member

i know the yucca, I was talking about the banana tree to the right... I know hard to see, since it is naked and all

10. edleigh7

The banana should live, I dug one out of the ground and bought it home, it didn't show a leaf again for about 2 months

Ed