overwintering hibiscus

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by abigail, Sep 11, 2004.

1. abigail

abigail Member

I have a 2.5 foot high single pink hibiscus with numerous branches that was given to me in June. (I live in Toronto) It was placed outside all summer and in spite of losing almost all of it's leaves except at the top (they yellowed from the outside edge in and then dropped off) it bloomed profusely all summer. I have now brought it in for the winter and need advice re how to keep it alive till next summer. When should I prune it since it has so few leaves now. Thanks. Abigail

2. Chris Klapwijk

Chris Klapwijk Active Member 10 Years

Abigail,

there are about 220 species of Hibiscus. Cultivational requirements vary depending on the species. Do you know which species you have or could you post a picture so we could perhaps identify it for you? Just a guess given your location, perhaps you have a H. rosa-sinensis, see here and here.

3. abigail

abigail Member

Chris,

I guess it looks like the second picture you sent (thank you). the plant was a gift so I have little identifying information. The stems are woody, the flower is more pink than coral. It has been pruned in the past and has many offshoots from its original pruning (not done by me).

When I first got the plant I immediately moved it outside into the sun--and I think the shock of the change cause it to lose many leaves. I did some reading and reduced watering to it. I also repotted it into a SLIGHTLY larger pot (having read that it likes to be rootbound. I used a loose potting mix soil. I also watered once or twice with a very mild solution of water and bleach (another suggestion) in case there were bugs or disease at the roots. I also misted all summer with a mild soapy solution. With these changes the plant thrived well all summer and bloomed very well. However, it has so few leaves left that I am concerned about it making it through the winter and wonder what I can do to salvage it till next spring. I hope this is enough information for you. Thanks for your reply. Abigail

4. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years