Ornamental Cherries Resources Discussion

Online pages and other resources related to ornamental cherries

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

2. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

I came across this page that ornamental cherry enthusiast may enjoy. I love Sakura photos of Japan, own many books, but unfortunately don't have any room for Sakura in the landscape. But do collect photo books of Japan that many feature many Spring Sakura.

When you visit the page, you may want to use Google translate to translate into English if you can't read Japanese. The page is of Spring flowering trees and shrubs. Click on the blue link below each photo (or see below in bold) and you are taken to a page for each variety showing the flowers, features of the tree for identification, and pictures of the tree structure.

Spring flowers page:
    木の花・春

Prunus sargentii:
    オオヤマザクラ 大山桜
    Ooyama-zakura page in English

Prunus × yedoensis:
    ソメイヨシノ 染井吉野

Few varieties of Prunus under Shidarezakura:

シダレザクラ 枝垂れ桜

Prunus verecunda:
    カスミザクラ 霞桜

Hoshizakura:
    エドヒガン 江戸彼岸

Prunus jamasakura:
    ヤマザクラ 山桜

Prunus nipponica:
    タカネザク ミネザクラ イシヅチザクラ

Prunus lannesiana var. Speciosa:
    オオシマザクラ 大島桜

Prunus apetara aka Mejirozakura:
    チョウジザクラ 丁字桜

Prunus kanzakura:
    カワヅザクラ 河津桜

I apologize if this site has already been shared on this forum. I am not a frequent visitor (did a search that did not turn up any results), but I thought it was worth sharing.

I hope you enjoy this great online resource!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2018
  3. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Wendy, some of links from JT1's post are now broken. Does that affect the resources elsewhere?

5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Thanks, Daniel. I had neglected to add these to the Resource page, so it didn't affect links elsewhere. I've replaced links that didn't work and have added it to the Resource page, with a link back to the discussion postings so that links are not in two places. I added that Ooyama-zakura page in English because I wasn't able to find the Japanese page, finally found it but decided to leave in the English link.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  6. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Guide to identification of Sakura, Japanese cherry trees:

Use Google chrome to translate the page to English. The far right of the page list the cherry by name as a link. This link takes you to a page of very detailed information and photos for identification.

The links along the far left takes you to a page that compares Cherries in that group for a side by side reference to see the difference and aid in identification.

This is an amazing resource especially for the plant geek, collector, or enthusiast and like minded people.

葉と枝による樹木検索図鑑-類似種の見分け方 他:サクラ類の検索表

I hope you find this great resource useful and appreciate it as much as I do!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018