Old friend needs help

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Halen, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Halen

Halen New Member

Hi, I have a dracaena marginata that is over 40yrs old. I repotted a year ago in a plastic container that had drainage holes in a unique pattern. Apparently, this configuration is easily clogged after a few waterings. The plant had been showing signs of wilt. I decided to let it go through the winter and re-pot it in the spring. What I found was a watery mess. There was no root ball. Most roots had been destroyed. there only remained a few large roots. I dried them with a newspaper as much as I could and re-potted it. It's been a month and I have not watered it since. there is no new growth but remaining leaves look fairly healthy. I've had this plant longer than my kids, I do not want to lose it. Is there anything else I should be doing to help it?

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I wouldn't do anything different. You could feel the weight of the pot and notice carefully when the leaves start to wilt. When the pot seems lighter and the leaves start to wilt, then water it. I would expect it to need water after a month, but you're right to wait if the soil still is damp and the leaves look fine.
    I'm interested to know how long it takes for new growth to start. I hope you will report back.

3. Halen

Halen New Member

I'll be glad to let you know how it works out. I'm just not sure if it can survive on the limited amount of root that is left.

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Well, it sounds like it is surviving. They root ok when cuttings are placed directly into soil, so if the top is still healthy, you have a pretty good chance.