Norfolk Pine Transplant

Discussion in 'Araucariaceae' started by finiteguy, Apr 12, 2011.

1. finiteguy

finiteguy Member

OK, I live in the Atlantic NE Boston area. Similar winters to Pacific NW, I think.
    I have a Norfolk Island Pine Tree that is in allarge pot that my wife gave me when we were dating. It is now 34 years latter and the tree is about 5 ft tall in the pot. I store it in my basement during the winter and in the summer I put it out on my rear porch.
    I'm not sure what to do with this. If I palnt it out doors will it freeze in the winter?
    I don't want to kill the tree because of the sentimental aspect. It is getting too large to move. I do clip the top to prevent it from getting taller. Seems to work in that there are no more branches coming in on the tip but it is getting wider.
    Any suggestions?

2. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

According to Wikipedia (see link below) You are too far north for it to survive out side during the winter. I keep mine in the house year round.
    The Monkey Puzzle, Bunya Bunya (bidwillii), and the Norfolk are all the same family - Araucariaceae. The Monkey puzzle is the only one I've seen that will grow outside here in the Pacific NW

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Araucaria_heterophylla

barb