Non-hardy Fuschia starting

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by janetdoyle, Jun 6, 2010.

1. janetdoyle

janetdoyle Active Member 10 Years

Victoria [Saanich, actually, northeast of Victoria
    What is the secret to successful transplanting from the small nursery pot to the larger planter? I have a mature fuschia basket with some space in it and wanted to add a couple of small starters in very pale pink-to-white in the available space to complement the rosy pink and white variety there now. They don't look too vigorous after several days... what should I be doing, or not doing? The basket is hanging in the shade in Victoria BC temperature and I have given the starter plants a transplanting fertilizer when planting -- and additionally, some root stimulator today when I noticed they were looking a bit shrivelled and weak... The landscaper who gave me the basket with the mature plants had a fairly peaty soil in it which I thought would dry out too fast so before planting I added some sea soil to add richness... I also added a few small Lobelia in and around the edge -- and one of those looks a bit wan too although the other two look promising. Too crowded? I can't imagine the little starters would know that yet... And it's very moist, but with drainage.

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Janet, in my experience even hardy Fuschias sulk for about a week after being transplanted. They really don't like having their roots disturbed. Also, in nature, Fuchsias often grow in pretty terrible and depleted soils - you may have shocked them with too much nutrient.