New weed in the neighbourhood

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Margot, Jun 29, 2022.

1. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

The first photo is one I posted a few weeks ago of a new weed in my garden. No one could identify it, especially without a flower. I've been pulling quite a few since and wondering where they came from. Well - now I know!

I was over at my absentee neighbour's to help another neighbour (with permission) pull the forest of euphorbias on the property. There, in front of the deck, were dozens and dozens of the same plant in my picture, all grown up. Many had already released their dandelion-type seeds.

I hope this is enough information to allow someone to ID it. I've been looking and have not found it yet.

Note: I'm wondering about the plants in front of the lattice, not the daisies.

Unknown weed.jpg 2022 new weed at neighbours.JPG 2022 New weed at neighbours 2.JPG

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
  2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
    Margot likes this.
  3. Margot

Senecio had crossed my mind when I scrolled through a list of BC weeds but I dismissed it for some reason.

Now, I think you are correct and that it most probably is Senecio vulgaris.

Thank you.

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Far too tall for Senecio vulgaris, that's usually 10-20 cm tall, only rarely to 30 cm tall; this looks more like about a metre tall or more.

Check out Wall Lettuce (Mycelis muralis, syn. Lactuca muralis) going to seed, after the flowerheads have shed their ray florets.

5. Margot

Yes, I see what you mean. The tallest of the 'new' weeds I find are probably 60cm. It definitely is not Wall Lettuce though, of which I'm sadly very familiar. I've also pulled quite a few Senecio vulgaris over the years . . . perhaps my mystery weed is another species of Senecio.

6. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Heath Groundsel (Senecio sylvaticus), perhaps? Not a very aggressive plant in the same way that S. vulgaris is, and uncommon as a native over here, so perhaps less likely to be an invasive species in Canada?

Compare: File:20140703Senecio sylvaticus06.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Edit: the more pics I look at of this, the better fit it looks to be. And from inaturalist, it appears to be widespread as an invasive plant in BC.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
    Margot likes this.
  7. Margot

I think that's probably the same weed as I'm finding everywhere. The good thing about it is that it takes a long time from germination to seed-dispersal so there's lots of opportunities to pull it first.

Thanks for pinning it down.