New japanese maples to my garden for 2013

Discussion in 'Maples' started by amazingmaples, Mar 15, 2013.

1. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

This year did not bring me many new cultivars but it brought me a lot of old specimens. I am still processing in the 180 plus japanese maple trees from Del Louck's yards. Of the 180 trees there are 30 or so which are specimen. Over the next few months i will post photos of all of hese great trees. Some of my first favorites are the 14' tall Ap 'Pixie', 7' tall 12' wide Ap 'Autumn fire', 7' tall 9' wide Ap 'Waterfall' and the 5' tall Ap Lemon Lime lace'.
    Another of my favorite trees is the 100 year old dissectum which I got out of a yard in Auburn , WA. The tree looks like it was from some fairy tale.

Attached Files:

2. Liekko

Liekko Member

Wow nice trees, they are going to look so good when they leaf out - because they are awesome now!

3. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

I love old specimens. The character and presence of a very old tree is amazing. I might be getting too deep here, but when you have a rare opportunity to see(or meet) a tree like that in person, they instill in me a feeling of great respect and the feeling that you are among greatness. What a great find Charlie!

It’s hard to say where I would want to put a tree like that, in the front yard for the world to see. Or maybe something like that deserves a quiet place in the back yard, in view from a patio, so you can just get lost in it’s greatness and contemplate the meaning of life!

4. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

There is certainly nothing quite like an old dissectum grown from a low graft or seedling to show off the intricate structure. Stunning.

5. Neko

Neko Member

wow - incredible structure.

I can't imagine how much those would be worth now.