Neoregelia concentrica

Discussion in 'Botany Photo of the Day Submissions' started by lorax, Dec 19, 2009.

1. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Neoregelia concentrica, cultivar unknown, from the collection of the Quito Botanical Gardens. This striking bromeliad is native to Brazil but has found widespread cultivation, likely because it is so very pretty. Neoregelia are "classic" broadleaf bromeliads which collect water in a central reservoir (where the inflorescence will later emerge.) As such, they are important parts of the rainforest ecosystem - a single large specimen may host over 200 types of organisms, from amoebae to frogs.

Attached Files:

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

oh, boy! how'd i miss this?!

beautiful!!!!

(thanks, togata for pointing it out!)

3. lorax

It was even more purple in person. Thanks, Joc!

4. joclyn

wow, really??? *drools*

5. lorax

Well, if you can keep Aroids alive, you would have no problems with a Bromeliad. Ecuagenera doesn't stock N. concentrica, but they do have the all-purple N. aculeata-sepala, and I'm sure if you contacted the US Bromeliad Society somebody would have a cultivar of N. concentrica. Just be warned that they can get quite large - that specimen had a diameter of about a meter.

6. joclyn

oh, that one is just as nice!!

N. concentrica gets to be THAT wide?! wowee!!!! hmmm, i DO have the space for that, lol

7. lorax

Well, I can't speak for your conditions. Grown outdoors here, though, it does. The largest Neoregelia I have seen, however, was a striped one of nearly 2m diameter. The Puyas still dwarf them, though.

8. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Would go nicely here. A meter that is practicaly a pond for the frogs etc. My funny little bright red one is my favourite and has made pups quiet well. Have several continers now from one I got about 5 yrs ago. Had no idea what I had till the list enlightened me.

Liz