Identification: Need some help with I.D

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by James D., Jan 24, 2009.

1. James D.

James D. Active Member

Hi, I got this Orchid free from my work today. It didn't have a label and is looking extremely sad, im hoping someone can identify it for me.

Attached Files:

2. James D.

James D. Active Member

No one has any idea? If this helps it has palm like foliage, very thin and has lots of creases in it like a new palm leaf. the pseudobulb is cylander shaped.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Even with the flower shown it might be hard to find out - there are so many kinds, some of them multigeneric hybrids.

4. arcticshaun

arcticshaun Active Member

At a wild guess it might be a Cymbidium orchid. Mainly because there are so many Cymbidiums produced and sold in the spring. They have large round pseudobulbs that taper at the the top towards the growth. Generally flower spikes are formed from the base of last seasons mature growth in the spring. Your growth looks like it is produced from a backbulb and may be several seasons from blooming. Without a closer look at the bulbs and/or flowers someday this is just a guess. Google Cymbidiums to see if there is any resemblence to your orchids growth.

Shaun

5. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

The other wild guess is Brassia; that's what I originally mistook one of my deeply plicate round-pseudobulb orchids to be. (Mine turned out to be a Xyllobium, but that's an extremely far shot for yours. I'd go with Shaun and say Cymbidium until it blooms and you can be more certain.)

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Do these ever have impressed veins in the leaves?

7. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Cymbidium most likely. Looks like a healthy recovery too!

8. James D.

James D. Active Member

I have about 5 Cymbidiums and it is definately not a cymbidium. Thanks for trying to i.d it for me, I am going to ask a local orchid grower to look at it for me.

9. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Yes, your picture is lees than adequate for our viewing...and evaluation. Hands on is much more efficient for your required results...

10. arcticshaun

arcticshaun Active Member

Hi James,

Have you received any further leads on the identity of your orchid? I was hoping between your picture showing both pseudobulbs and new growth that at least we could come up the genus or 'alliance' that your orchid belongs to. Presently the two best clues that we have are the shape of the p-bulbs as well as the pattern and type of leaves on your new growth. While you may never get an exact description (even with flowers) it would be nice to know what conditions would best suit it. Seeing as you already grow Cymbidiums, which although pretty are relatively common, let's hope that you have something a bit more exotic.

Good luck
    Shaun

11. lorax

Having just returned from South America's largest orchid show, I'd say you should have a look at Lycaste and Acineta.

12. terrestrial_man

terrestrial_man Active Member 10 Years

13. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Is it entirely certain that the leaf-pleating is not caused by an environmental stress?

Any chance, James D., that anyone at work could give you any information? For example, the person who left it behind? ---My guess is that this plant can't be TOO rare: if it were, its sheer cost would preclude its abandonment!

Looks pretty good to me. Check the marshiness of that medium, though. Will be looking forward to you photos of its bloom(s)---then we'll know for sure!

14. lorax

toagata you'd think that wouldn't you? I find abandond Phragimediums occasionally, which sell for about $50.

15. togata57

Oooh! Wow, I'd love one. I have a fondness for paphs (esp. dark, warty, hairy ones) and have always admired phrags. Really like those long mustachios many of them have. ---Got a Paph. Maudiae several years ago for $10, and it is one of my most consistent bloomers: had 3 simultaneously last fall.

16. lorax

You'd have killed to be at the show I was at on Friday, Togata. Here's the Best In Show Paph and Phrag from the 2009 International Orchid Expo. I so want that Phrag now!

Attached Files:

17. togata57

ARGHHH!!! >Sob!< So painful! Such beauty! (Looks like a Rothschildianum.) Maybe someday...Thanks for the photos, lorax.

18. lorax

Ecuagenera used to have that Paph, you know.... Not sure on the Phrag - it's supposed to be a new intrageneric hybrid.

I'll post some more of my photos from the show in the Orchids thread later.