Need help on ID on indoor potted plants

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by 8Peonies, Jun 8, 2021.

1. 8Peonies

8Peonies Active Member

A dear friend (in her 80s and not computer knowledgeable) asked me whether the attached potted plants are suppose to be placed indoor or outdoor (she has a small balcony). I am afraid I do not know nor recognize the plants. Would appreciate any help in identifying what they are, whether they should be placed indoors or outdoors, and so I may do further reading on the plants for her. She mentioned that the balcony gets sun from 3 pm to 7 pm. Thank you kindly.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2021
  2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

It's too small to see and doesn't enlarge. Have a look at Attach photos and files and reply to upload the photo again so we can click it to see it enlarged.

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Difficult to be sure without a clearer photo but they may be:
    • Pilea cadierei
    • Pilea involucrata

4. 8Peonies

8Peonies Active Member

Attached Files:

5. 8Peonies

8Peonies Active Member

Junglekeeper: thanks!

6. Junglekeeper

There appears to be an African Violet or two on the far side. Not sure what the botanical name would be. Perhaps Saintpaulia sp. I noticed subspecies of Saintpaulia ionantha resolves to subspecies of Streptocarpus ionanthus.

7. 8Peonies

8Peonies Active Member

Many thanks!

8. Junglekeeper

9. 8Peonies

8Peonies Active Member

Thanks Junglekeeper. I will definitely check it out. I did look into the pilea cadierei and pilea involucrata online. The photos and texts of the former as found online seem to definitely match. As for the pilea involucrata, I am somewhat unsure as the pictures online show some purple coloring in their leaves; whereas my friend's plant is totally green, a darker green and there does not appear to be a central vein from the tip of the leaf to the stem, which appears on the pilea involucrata in the pics found online?? Perhaps another type of pilea? (will do further search). Perhaps her plant has not matured? Also the "bumps" on her leaves seem larger. Pls excuse my knowledge, I do not know much about plants. Thank you for introducing me to these three species of plants:) Given mention of tropical environment and temperatures required, all plants in one pot - have reached conclusion: houseplants! Many thanks Jk!

10. Junglekeeper

There are likely other cultivars; you may want to compare the plants to Pilea 'Moon Valley'. Also keep in mind plants often take on a different appearance depending on how much light they receive.

11. 8Peonies

8Peonies Active Member

Will do. Point well taken. Her photo was somewhat dark which makes identification a little more challenging. Thanks again!