Name this plant please

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Barbara92021, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Barbara92021

Barbara92021 Active Member 10 Years

I am not sure if this is a succulent or not but I do think it is. I've tried searching thru different plant photo galleries and can't find anything that looks even similar.

Please tell me what this plant is and how to take care of it! I used the macro feature of my digital camera to take the pic on the right. It is a closer pic which shows the stems in more detail. I hope this helps get this plant named. I would also like to know how popular this plant is - like how easy is it to find this plant?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Lila Pereszke

Lila Pereszke Well-Known Member 10 Years

Crassula lycopodioides

3. Barbara92021

Barbara92021 Active Member 10 Years

Thankyou Lila! I google searched and got lots of info about caring for this plant.

4. Cereusly Steve

Cereusly Steve Active Member

Crassula muscosa is the correct name. Crassula lycopodioides is a synonym.

5. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

synonyms are acceptable as correct.

6. Cereusly Steve

Not according to the ICBN and ICNCP codes.

http://ibot.sav.sk/icbn/main.htm

Synonyms are obsolete names and should not be used.

Are you planning to write your own version of the code of botanical nomenclature?

7. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Steve is right, Crassula muscosa is the currently accepted name for this plant.

Synonyms can be old names or disputed names. Although a few plants are better known by their synonyms, it is always best to try to come to the correct currently accepted name. The correct name can tell us something about the plant.

Many of us know certain plants by old synonyms. These names are not entirely wrong, but they are not entirely correct either. A synonym will generally lead one to the correct name though.

8. cactologist

cactologist Member

Of course it isn't always that simple. Botanists often disagree on the correct name for a plant. I don't know what evidence Dr. Eggli has for treating C. lycopodioides as a synonym of C. muscosa, but it may not be the only interpretation. I'm not an expert on the genus but I can think of several reasons someone might consider C. lycopodioides as the correct name:
    You might consider the 2 separate species regardless of similarities others see;
    You might think Linne's 1760 description of C. muscosa does not represent the same plant as Lamarck's 1786 description;
    or you might be petitioning the ICBN to conserve the name C. lycopodioides over the older name in the interest of stability, because it is a much more widely used name.
    I don't really know if any of these apply, but it is worth pointing out that the "correct" name is not always so easily determined.

9. Cereusly Steve

Everyone now follows the thorough revision of the southern African species of Crassula published by H.R. Toelken in 1977. I have a copy of the book (2 volumes). Previously, everyone followed H. Jacobsen's treatment in his "Handbook of Succulent Plants" and his "Lexicon of Succulent Plants" based on the earlier revision by S. Schoenland but it contained numerous errors and omissions.

Both names refer to the same plant. The name Crassula muscosa L. (1760) has priority over Crassula lycopodioides Lamarck (1768) by 8 years. There is no doubt which is the correct name by priority of publication.

Every cactologist should have a thorough reference library and not just the "Illustrated Handbook of Succulent Plants" series as their only source of info.

BTW, Ernst van Jaarsveld reviewed Crassula in the Crassulaceae volume not Urs Eggli. Eggli was the editor of the volume, not the sole contributor.

10. cactologist

cactologist Member

Actually, I don't own "illustrated Handbook of Succulent Plants" (or any other books for that matter. Publishers use toxic inks and unsustainable practices so I rather conserve). But that's an aside. The question is whether the two names refer to the same plant. I find the published literature (inc. Toelken) to be unconvincing. But I haven't seen Linne's original description or any of the types so I'm not an authority. Since Steve has obviously compared types and descriptions, I'm happy to defer to his greater knowledge.