Identification: mystery magnolia needs id

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by ginsenghamster, Oct 11, 2021.

1. ginsenghamster

ginsenghamster Active Member 10 Years

Hello All

This Chinese sourced seed came as Magnolia kobus, but after growing a plethora of them from other sources, these seedlings seem different. Any help to id this will be greatly appreciated. The plants are still very young, but appear to have a uniform leaf type. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I don't understand how this works at all. Yuliana is a sub-group under Magnolia? "Magnolia ... subg. Yulania (Spach) Reichenbach."
    Most of the species listed there are labelled Magnolia at UBCBG: Y. liliiflora, Y. cylindrica, Y. stellata, Y. campbellii, . sargentiana, Y. dawsoniana, Y. Ă—soulangeana, Y. zenii, all showing Yuliana as a synonym, and Y. denudata, with the common name Yulan Magnolia. What does it mean that kobus isn't listed listed on that page, except to say that it is cultivated as a garden plant in some parts of China? Just that it's not Chinese? Or @Ron B, you linked to that page not as kobus magnolias, but other possibilities?

4. Ron B

5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

OK, I like (not really) the "Seventeen or two genera". Presumably, that's just for what is native to China, since kobus is not included (though the seeds were sourced from China, where it is cultivated). And I'm also dismayed at Oyama listed as a genus, so Oyama wilsonii.
    I had to consult my How to read a binary key? thread again (which came up on my Bing search). I've stickied it now.

And isn't it the case that seedlings just can be different? And species can be variable. These links don't go to any kobus description to see if the plant that's growing is within normal for the species. Is there a description you would consider reliable?

6. Ron B

I'd continue in the direction of the mystery material not being Magnolia kobus - look at how many species are in the key to Yulania on the one page. Otherwise I'll mention the crossing brought up on the last page I linked to has been said elsewhere to be a recurring happenstance in modern times due to the planting of magnolia plantations within the vicinity of wild living magnolias in China. And one involving multiple different species.

maf likes this.