Identification: mystery houseplant

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by smcfarla, Aug 8, 2003.

1. smcfarla

smcfarla Member

anyone know what this is?

Attached Files:

2. PlantExplorer

PlantExplorer Active Member 10 Years

Possibly Peperomia

A single picture with no other information can make it very hard to make an accurate identification.

However, based on what I can see of the stem and the fleshy leaves, I would have to guess that you have a species of Peperomia, which is one of those oddities in the plant world where the proper scientific name has been adopted as the common name.

If you have ever seen the plant produce green spikes about 8-12cm (3-5inches) long, then it almost certainly a Peperomia, and most probably P. glabella, which is native to the West Indies and Central and South America.

The spikes are actually covered in minute flowers, but these plants are most commonly used as indoor plants for their relative durability and attractive foliage (which is often variegated in cultivated forms).

3. What about peperomia scandens?

4. PlantExplorer

Peperomias

Peperomia scandens is a good possibility, but there are a number of reasons I didn’t go with it (or the very closely related P. serpens);

1. Peperomia glabella (Sw.) A. Dietr. has leaves that are ‘3.8x3cm, broadly elliptic to somewhat obovate, rounded to obtusely acute at apex, broadly tapered to rounded at base’ while P. scandens has leaves that are ‘7.5x6cm, ovate to suborbicular, long-acuminate at apex, truncate to subcordate at base’ (RHS Dictionary, 1993). The picture here shows leaves that are apparently broadly tapered at the base.
    2. But I also considered availability - In North America and Europe P. glabella ‘Variegata’ is one of the most commonly cultivated and sold scandent Peperomias, and since this cultivar is prone to reversion, chances are pretty good that that was the origin of this specimen.

However, this plant looks like it has lived in that pot for over a year, probably with moderate to low light conditions, and a fair amount of stagnant water (based on the mineralization on the pot, and the staining above what may be a deep saucer) – All these factors could significantly alter both the growth pattern of the plant and the leaf shape. So a truly accurate identification just ain’t gonna happen here. :-)

5. If, in fact, this plant is a peperomia, do you have any recommendations with respect to bringing it back to life? It used to be much thicker, but now many of the stems have turned from the usual red colour to greenish-brown to black... at which point they simply detach. I acquired this plant from the previous owner of the house in which I am living so I don't have any information on it's age or how often it's been repotted, or if the container size is even appropriate. Would repotting be a good idea?

Thanks for any info,
    Sherri

6. PlantExplorer

The plant is probably over-watered. By reducing the frequency of watering so that the soil surface just becomes dry before the next watering, and placing the pot where it can drain freely so that water does not become stagnant or keep the soil exceedingly damp, you will do a great deal to improve the health of the plant. Never let the plant sit in water.

You may also want to find it a nice home near a bright window, but not so close to the window that the plant becomes chilled during the winter. Peperomia sp. are true tropical plants and do not appreciate cold damp.

Hope this helps

7. Jeff

Jeff New Member

I'm not sure, but i think that is called a goldfish plant. I am not sure of the scientific name, but it looks like the plant that I have. It will produce numerous goldfish cracker-like flowers. Hope that helps.

8. It looks like the lipstick plant or aeschynanthus.

9. It looks like a peperomia

I would say its the peperomia scandens 'variegata' thats what is looks like to me, I just learned this plant in my house plants ID class. So, I hope I am right.

10. This is the Goldfish Plant. This plant is a Costa Rican plant that is named for its flowers. It can be a bit tricky to keep due it the high humidity it prefers.

11. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

it is a Peperomia .. not sure what one .. u can tell by the suculant type stems on it were as the lipstick and goldfish plants are just long thin green stems.. allthoug the leaves are similar ..
    and Urihajump the term "variegata" is used when the plant is a coloration of green and white mixed .. the one in the pic is just plain green .. the variegated peperomia is very striking .. i had one and i really liked the colors ..

Marn

12. The common name for this plant is String of Hearts.

13. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

no it is not a string of hearts plant .. it is a type of Pepperomia .. as i stated .. they all have a succulant type stem to them .. string of hearts has very thin stems hence the name *string* of hearts.. do a google search for pepperomia..
    and lipstick and gold fish plants both have a very hard stem to them .. not succulant type..
    I can post pics of mine and you can see the diiference from the pic posted..

Marn