My forte!!!

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by doxie1064, Sep 17, 2009.

1. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

Oh what endearing little stories, 2annbrow!

Yes, Henry does preen my eyebrows, my hair, my nose, and cheeks. He's very gentle and loving. I am shocked sometimes at how affectionate he can be. He loves to be very still and press his beak tightly up against my lips and have me kiss him repeatedly. He enjoys the vibration or something. He likes it if you do a 'raspberry' sound against his beak too, and can even mimic a raspberry and a kiss sound perfectly. It's just too hilarious!

Yes, I heard that too - that parakeets kept with other parakeets, don't talk quite as much. It has always just been Henry and I, and he pretty much talks from morning until night.

One thing he does that's kinda funny too, is he'll be sitting on his perch quietly, and I'll walk by, to grab a plant, or whatever, and he'll blurt something out as soon as I walk by him - like "Hi" or "Where's Danny" (one of his many named plastic bird friends). He really loves to show off his vocabulary, and likes to try to impress me with how much he can mimic.

In nature the male bird learns to mimic only so he can impress the female. She is attracted to a male bird who has an extensive repertoire of a collection of sounds and mimics that he has mastered! I sometimes think Henry is trying to attract me! He mimics many other bird sounds too and even mimics my laugh, which my mom first caught on to. He does it all the time.

Here's some recent shots I took of him...

: )

Attached Files:

2. Dana09

Dana09 Active Member

What a sweetie little Henry is. Dose he demand replies?
    Sounds much like a little kid always chatting and asking questions.

And the fishy tales....charming.

Below is a pic of a Koi who lives at a local farm where they sell corn in the Koi room, a glass house constructed around a large pool that comes up waist high.
    Having read about personable Koi in the past, I tried passing my hand over the surface to see if there would be a reaction and one big one would come to the surface and roll showing its tummy and allow for a pet.
    Maybe they were hoping for food or a bit of the romaine they like but who knows for sure?

D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

When I was a docent at the Columbus Zoo, one of the animals we volunteers were allowed to take out amongst the public was George, a scarlet macaw. He liked to sit on a sign near the entrance: if I stood near enough to him, he would run strands of my hair through his beak and/or toes! Always gentle about it---just seemed to find it enjoyable.

4. The Hollyberry Lady

That is too funny Dana, about the Koi rolling over for a pet!!!

: o

Oh I am still giggling. Thanks for the chuckle.

That's cute about the Macaw, Togata. I find that birds like stringy things, and that must be why they like our hair.

5. The Hollyberry Lady

Hey, you guys!!!

Happy New Year!

Thought I'd pop in and post these shots I took of Henry this morning...

Attached Files:

6. togata57

Henry, as ever, is one handsome fella.
    Wonder what he and his plastic friend were chatting about...? Undoubtedly, H. was imparting his wisdom.
    Glad to see that the p.f. has his own rustic abode!
    What is the plant behind H. in photo #4?

7. The Hollyberry Lady

Thanks Togata!

That little plastic bird isn't just any toy - that's "T.T." (pronounced tee-tee). It's Henry's baby. He feeds it and baths it daily! Not to mentions scolds it and preens it too.

As for the plant in the background of pic 4...here's a crappy shot of it I just took for you now. It's a plant I got from Wal-Mart a few years back, with no name on it.

Although this shot does not do it justice, it's actually quite nice. I trim the brown ends of the leaves all the time to keep it looking green all over. It doesn't mind. It likes indirect bright light.

Attached Files:

8. togata57

I apologize to Henry and T.T. both. In future I will address them by their rightful names!

Your plant has a look of Dracaena massangeana about it. Yeah, I had no idea that it was that tall!

9. The Hollyberry Lady

He is very protective of T.T. and doesn't like him going anywhere without him. I can even use the little bird as a way to lure Henry to places he wouldn't normally go as well - it's kinda funny.

If T.T. is put away, after awhile Henry will ask "where's T.T."?!!

I've said it so much that he now understands exactly what it means and only asks at appropriate times, when T.T. is missing!

10. The Hollyberry Lady

Here he is today...

Not exactly how I intended for him to look in the first 2 shots - uptight. He actually doesn't mind when I handle him sometimes, but in these pics he was very suspicious of the camera and wanted to get away. Thought I'd show them anyway.

In the last pic, after he'd been released, he was a bit more relaxed of course...

Attached Files:

11. togata57

Hey---we all have our moods! Heaven knows that I react just this way when I see a camera aimed at me!

12. The Hollyberry Lady

Yeah, if the camera wasn't aimed at him, he'd have been much more relaxed.

I try not to handle him too often, but sometimes when he's in a good mood he doesn't mind and will actually sit in my hand while I kiss the top of his head. I'm always real gentle with him though - he's a pretty tiny little guy.

Togata, do you clip your boys' nails yourself? I do Henry's, but it's tough sometimes and I need my mom's help. Wondered what you did...

13. The Hollyberry Lady

Here's Henry's new, all-natural, "Bark Bowl" filled with 'oats & groats'!!!

Of course, he loves it...

Attached Files: