Mr.Fothergil's Kentucky Wonder Wax pole bean

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by pgamalo, Jul 14, 2012.

1. pgamalo

pgamalo Member

We planted this variety at the end of may.They have just taken off as the pictures show.They are now over 6 feet and trying to go further.
    My question is this...When can we expect flowers to appear?????
    I water regularly in the morning.We have had about 15 days of plus 30 degrees with no end in site...

Thanx for any answers

Phil in Gatineau

Attached Files:

2. pgamalo

pgamalo Member

Finally my patience has paid off.I noticed some flowers today.Will wait a few days and will post updated pictures.

Phil in Buckingham

pgamalo Posts: 4Joined: Jul 16, 2012 10:47

3. pgamalo

pgamalo Member

Updated pictures.Lots of flowers now coming out everywere.We plan on freezing some of the harvest for future consumption this winter.
    Appreciate any tips on that procedure...
    Phil in Buckingham

Attached Files:

4. pgamalo

pgamalo Member

Re: Mr.Fothergil's Kentucky Wonder Wax pole bean Update

I think the seed packages were wrong.Here are pictures of the beans coming out.As you can see,they are pretty big but none have turned yellow so far.
    Not having that much experience,when do i give up on them turning yellow and satisfy myself with a BIG harvest of GREEN beans???ALL the flowers that came out and still coming out are white.
    P.S. sorry for picture quality.....

Phil in Buckingham

Attached Files:

5. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Wax beans don't turn yellow until they are ripe. Give them a bit more time. If you find some with large seeds inside and still not yellow, then they probably are mislabeled.

6. Diana barnes

Diana barnes New Member

I think these beans have been mislabeled. My kentucky Woner wax grow yellow coloured from the word "Go". I grow Kentucky Wonder wax yearly as they are most prolific. Others are Cobra (Green French climbing) and Enorma, runner/ String beans. All do well here Northern UK. Like parts of Canada we have a shorter growing period and cooler temperatures.All these beans, I find , have a fine flavour and large crops even in colder wetter summers. I always first dig a trench where I am growing the beans, and fill with leaf mould. Leaves collected in the autumn and bagged up in black refuse bags over winter. This provides the moisture needed for a good crop of all these varieties. Cover this back over with soil removed to make trench. The slight wide ridge flattens down during the growing season. Plant the young plants raised under glass into this ridge. Top dress with general fertilizer granules and water well. Water well in dry periods.
    My family have been in the growing/gardening business for four generations from head gardener in a Large Victorian estate to Commercial growers. I taught Biology and Rural sciences! It's in the blood!
    I store produce by freezing or dehydrating. French & Runner/string beans are best frozen.
    I freeze successfully this way.
    Prepare beans by top and tailing (pare the stringy sides of runner beans)
    Snap or cut into 3-4" lengths.
    Blanche in boiling water for 3 mins (no longer)This "kills" cells so they don't burst when frozen and go mushy.
    Spread lengths on large flat metal or plastic trays in one Layer and put in freezer.
    After 24 hours place tray on hot wet kitchen towel and using a fish slice , shovel lengths into freezer bags.
    Freezing this way, the lengths remain loose and you can use as many or few as desired. Just like commercially bought frozen beans.