Morning Glory Seeds

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by Bulucanagria, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Bulucanagria

Bulucanagria Member

Greetings all,
    I am thrilled to find this forum. I have come to the conclusion that forums such as these are one of the most enduringly valuable resources on the internet. This is the third topic-specific forum I've joined (the others being for chickens and bugs) and all three are wellsprings of knowledge. Thank you to all for sharing what you know.
    I am an occasional gardener, having several other interests as well (such as chickens and bugs) but I do enjoy the gardening I do. It's very Zen for me. I really love Morning Glories as they are low-maintenance and strikingly beautiful.
    My question is regarding three seeds which I harvested today. I have collected seeds each year for the past four years or so and never seen any but black seeds. Today I harvested three that are yellow. Is this at all significant? Are they more or less likely to be viable? The big old internet only gave me scores of sites willing to sell me morning glory seeds. I greatly appreciate any input.

Attached Files:

• 019.jpg
      019.jpg
      File size:
      20.1 KB
      Views:
  2. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Hi Bulucanagria,

I think the color is ok because:

In a week or so, you will start to see seedpods forming where past flowers have been. They will be brown in color and look like small string beans.

Make sure seed pods are completely dried before harvesting. They will lose their green color and turn toward the stem of the plant.

Ok?

3. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

I think you have misunderstood the question Katalina. Bulucanagria has already harvested the seeds.

I cannot say if this is correct... but according to this site the lighter colour seeds produce pink flowers,darker colour for mauve.

http://www.craftygardener.ca/infoglory.html

4. Bulucanagria

Bulucanagria Member

Thanks for the info Katalina, and thank you for the link Silver surfer. That gave me the answer I was looking for. It would have taken me forever to find that page without the resources of a forum such as this. I had already planned to segregate the lighter color seeds and propagate them seperately. Now I have a better idea what to expect. Thanks again!

Bulucanagria

5. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Hi SilverSurfer,

That was something I found to tide Bulucanagria over with whilst someone who knows (you lol) the answer sees the post needs adding to.

What usually happens is in most forums I find an unanswered post (not often here) as soon as I reply more answers follow, hopefully the correct one.

Great its been answered.

6. Dana09

Dana09 Active Member

Nice answer! WHo knoew? Oh, well, SS of course :)

Would the Heavenly Blue cross with the pink?

Now I'm going to get the magnifying glass to have a close look when I get to those!

D