Monstera with brown/blackish pot on the leaves edges and yellow leaves

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by Hilithien, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Hilithien

Hilithien New Member

Hi all,

I bought a Monstera from IKEA around 20 days ago. The first picture is when it was bought. The diameter of the pot is 20cm. I put it in between of two south-faced windows, with a thin layer curtain. After several days, some of the leaves started to develop brown/blackish pot on the edges. I was afraid that it got too much sun so I moved it to the other side of the living room, which is around 4 metre from the window. Today I noticed that one leave starts to turn yellow. I guessed that it might because it gets too little sun so now I moved it back to the spot in front the window before, with the curtain in between to make the direct sunlight into indirect sunlight.

I am living in Stockholm, Sweden. I have watered the plant twice since I got it, every 13 days. I watered it until the water drained through the bottom.
    The plant is in a plastic inner-pot with drain holes and an outer pot with no-draining holes. I put some rocks/stones under the inner-pot to lift it up so there is some room between the pots for the water to drain through.

Please tell me what I am doing wrong with this Monstera [​IMG]
    thank you!

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Have you checked whether there is water pooling in the outer pot? The problem with the stones is that if the water level gets up to the inner pot, then it is still going to be sitting in the water and getting too wet. It would be good to wait a few minutes after watering and then lift the plant to discard any water in the outer pot.

The yellow leaf is an old one that would die anyway, and the spots on the other leaves are not going to go away. So you might have to wait for new leaves to tell how it is doing. In the meantime, decide when it needs water based on how heavy it is and err just a bit on the too-dry side, when it starts to droop.

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years