Monkey Tree

Discussion in 'Araucariaceae' started by stamford70, Apr 7, 2008.

1. stamford70

stamford70 Member

Hello

Can anyone help? I have a monkey tree and just lately it has started to go brown, more so at the bottom but there is a little browness on the leaves at the top?

Is there anything I can do?

Many thanks

Catherine

2. DGuertin

DGuertin Active Member 10 Years

Monkey Puzzle, you mean? What kind of environment do you have it in?

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Can you post a photo?

4. stamford70

stamford70 Member

Here is a photo taken as requested......

Attached Files:

5. DGuertin

Ah, right; monkey puzzle... Not knowing the climate of Derbyshire, I'll have to pass the specifics on to Mike F, but it may well have gotten too cold. If it's just the bottom branches, you may well be fine. My Araucaria drop branches, or parts of branches, on a regular enough basis that it no longer phases me to any real extent. As long as there is fresh growth, you should be alright.

6. Michael F

Sorry, looks like it is dead. Even the top shoots are browned off and with the growing points dead and fallen out. It shouldn't be from cold, as we've had a mild winter here. Was it only recently planted in the last few months? Was the fence behind recently painted with preservative? Could it have had a dog widdling on it regularly?

There is a small chance it might possibly sprout from the roots, but I wouldn't rate the likelihood very high in this case.

7. stamford70

stamford70 Member

Oh no, I have had it years, I can't understand what has happened, It has not been moved, the fence behind has always been there and not been painted. One thing that has just come to mind, last March 07 we planted a small apple tree not far from the monkey puzzle, could that have anything to do with it?
    Really upset that its dead.
    Thanks for your help!
    Catherine

8. Michael F

Keep it till at least the end of the summer, in case it does send out new growth.

9. DGuertin

I couldn't agree more! I've had several just so far this year that I'd left for dead six months ago that have sprung back with full growth in the last three weeks or so. You never can tell with these things. My general rule of thumb is to keep everything as-is for at least six months after I'm absolutely sure it's dead.