Monkey puzzle tree dead?

Discussion in 'Araucariaceae' started by mantoine2000, Jul 6, 2008.

1. mantoine2000

mantoine2000 Member

Hi,

My grand-mother lives in France and has an araucaria araucana who suddenly turned brown and seems dead. It is at least 40 years old, and probably much more. The height is about 20 meters.
    You all seem knowledgeable about the specie - and the best blog I've found. I'd like to know if the tree is dead; I am attaching a couple photos taken last month. The tree is located in western France, close to Angers. My grand-mother told me ivy started o climb on it and it never did in the past.

If it is not dead, would the copper solution be any good?
    If it is dead, can it fall on the house and need to be removed?

Thank you so much - I hope this message reaches you.

Antoine

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Re: Any known diseases common to Araucariaceae family?

Sorry, it does look to be dead; if it is all brown including the topmost branches, then it is dead. Possibly Armillaria root disease; this fungus can attack and kill a wide range of different species. Yes, best to remove it.

3. Luke Harding

Luke Harding Active Member

I would definitely agree with Michael. This tree looks to have suffered an Armillaria attack. Monkey Puzzle seems to be quite susceptable to it as do many of the Araucaria family. Apparently healthy trees can turn brown in the course of a week and there is nothing that can be done to reverse the affects.
    Don't be tempted to replace it with another Monkey Puzzle as the fungus will still be in the soil. There are quite a few Armillaria resistant species to choose from.

4. mantoine2000

mantoine2000 Member

Guys, thank you so much for your help.