Mexican Feather Grass

Discussion in 'Poaceae' started by psz, Jun 11, 2007.

1. psz

psz Member

We have a 60 foot long run of feather grass in our front garden, made up of about 50 plants. These were put in last year as 4 to 6 inch high plants and have now grown to quite bushy and large two foot high bushes. These move very nicely in the wind, but are just on the verge of too large and we are concerned that they will get too big. We have had varying suggestions on trimming them, but are not clear on what may happen if they are cut back. Can they be trimmed in height, or can they be made smaller by trimming around the base?
    Any insight would be appreciated

Thanks
    Peter

2. chowntown

chowntown Active Member

Hi Peter,

I also have some mexican feather grass (Nassella tenuissima, formerly Stipa tenuissima) of my own but not nearly as many as you...that must be a gorgeous strip garden. I absolutely love mexican feather grass. In terms of trimming it is best to cut them back every spring to about 4-6 inches. This encourages a strong new flush of growth that comes out green and slowly fades to that straw colour. As far as I know you cannot divide to make the clump smaller without killing the plant. You might consider removing some if you want to make some more room. Hope this helps!

Eric