Maples late to leaf out

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, May 5, 2021.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

After discussions on another thread this morning about maples that are particularly late to leaf out this year. I thought I would start a thread on this and post the 8 of mine that are 'very' tardy.
    Two more night frosts to come tonight and tomorrow and then hopefully they will get a move on.
    They are Vics pink, Okushimo, Kamagata, Beni Hagoromo, Coral magic, Shirazz, Lionheart and Baldsmith.
    Vics Pink 001.JPG Okushimo 001.JPG Kamagata 001.JPG Beni hagoromo 001.JPG Coral magic 001.JPG Shirazz 001.JPG Lionheart 001.JPG Baldsmith 001.JPG
    So how are everyone else's slow to leaf out maples ?

monicasanchez likes this.
  2. D97x7

D97x7 Contributor 10 Years

I think it's a common issue this year if my Facebook memory photos are anything to go by, even though I've posted some images of mine over the last couple of days there's still one that is lagging behind the others, a second Ukigumo actually that is right next to the one I posted earlier, I couldn't resist last year so bought another lol, hope the older one is OK, it seems like it will be.
    IMG_20210505_110923.jpg

monicasanchez likes this.
  3. Acerholic

Yes, I see what you mean N, but your other Ukigumo is looking fantastic. It is a strange start to the season without a doubt.

4. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

Everything had leafed out fully except for my Shishigashira. I was getting a little worried about it but then I noticed it started to slowly leaf out from the bottom up. The top buds are finally opening now. I never noticed it doing that before.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  5. Acerholic

When they do start after appearing not going to, there is always that sigh of relief. I bet your the same J.

dangerine49 likes this.