Maple shopping list 2021

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Maple_Lady

Maple_Lady Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Duh - thanks!

2. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I couldn't agree more Sam. Long overdue tbh ( to be honest) lol. It is also a plus for the forum that you are back. Your knowledge and enthusiasm will be greatly received once again.

D

4. Maple_Lady

Of course.

5. Maple_Lady

Hi Emery,

Happy New Year. I agree with the statement about 'Carnival'. I did receive some 1 gallons from Talon years ago, but they didn't ship well. In fact the leaves turned black in a box after 3 days. This happened enough times that I wouldn't sell them anymore. I did give one to my sister in Sacramento, CA after a visit and hers was doing magnificently for years, but then just started to go downhill. Not sure why they are so unstable. My list this year includes more 'Mystic Mikawa' and 'Yuki yama', plus 'Hino tori nishiki'.

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  6. Luke’s Maples

Hino Tori Nishiki... I have 3 of these and I will try and post pics of them throughout the season so you can see whether you like it or not ;-)

7. Acerholic

Good morning Luke, they are going to look great in a grouping. How come you ended up with 3 btw?

8. Luke’s Maples

Hi D. I bought the first one from Hippo, and it was a tiny little thing with two branches and half a dozen leaves. However, the colour of the leaves were mesmerising. It was late in the seat and they were a very pale pink, almost white with darker pink variegation. One of my cats jumped on it and snapped one of the branches leaving it looking a bit pathetic. The cat got a fair old boll**king may I add! Anyway I started searching for another and found one, a 3 ltr at ‘Online Acers.com’ who I think get their stock from Budlake Nurseries. Anyway I was going to stick with the two, until my visit to Acers Direct! They really do have much larger and older trees at the same price as you’d pay anywhere else I’ve found. Anyway he had one that was at least two to for years older than my others for £24.95. Needless to say it ended up squished into the back of my car with the others I’d picked up. And there you have it. It’s unlikely I’ll keep all 3 forever but I’ll see how each of them grow. Each one from a different grower, so it could be interesting :-)

9. Acerholic

Yes it will be interesting, we have all seen on the forum the variation in growth, size of leaves and colouring between continents and even countries that are quite close geographically.
    These days I just don't have the room for more than one of each cultivar and I do miss comparing them. Hope you can post all three together when they leaf out and in the following months.
    BTW my weather forecast for Tuesday is now 22° C . Lots of leaves coming next week I think.....

Maple_Lady and Luke’s Maples like this.
  10. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Sam @Maple_Lady , you too! And yet people keep buying them, because nurseries post pictures of young ones and are happy to sell. Then it's an unhappy customer after 5 years. I fear a lot of the rooted JMs we're seeing at the mo will turn out that way too.

'Silver Celebration' (Karan J. introduced it) is superior in most ways, and get better as it gets older: leaves from old wood are variegated just like 'Carnival' and it takes sun _much_ better. It appears to graft more easily as the wood is a bit thicker, I'd be happy to send you some scions to graft (or have grafted) next winter.

Done shopping for this year, except I need to get some perennials for a couple beds that need renovating. And cardoons, cardoons!

What I'm still doing is planting out, have fallen so far behind this year, and now almost too late. But only a few to go, after I finish this coffee I will do Acer x circinatum 'Morton' and a nice green/cream variegated (cut) JM selection will be next in.

20C here next week also! -E

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  11. Acerholic

Here also E, shorts and T shirt time, ..... ?

clorgan likes this.
  12. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Up to 23° C Wednesday, then back to 12° C at the end of the week...

13. Acerholic

Ha ha! so I saw Alain, same here......

14. clorgan

clorgan Member

I've just ordered this little Kiyohime for bonsai purposes! Seems I've got the maple bug...

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  15. Acerholic

I have this one for that purpose. Once you get the bug it's there for life, so good luck, as it can take over, lol.

LoverOfMaples and clorgan like this.
  16. clorgan

clorgan Member

Yes! The bonsai bug got me last year and I can't see me shaking it any time soon (ever!)

Acerholic likes this.
  17. Acerholic

And what a wonderful lifetime hobby C. Look forward to seeing your trees over the coming years.

clorgan likes this.
  18. clorgan

clorgan Member

Thanks very much! Look forward to sharing. I'm Claire by the way :)

19. Acerholic

Yes I know, thats why I've been calling you C, lol. I do remember you from last year.

clorgan likes this.
  20. clorgan

clorgan Member

Haha I wasn't sure! You must get a lot of people coming and going here

21. Acerholic

I try my very best to remember everyone on the Maples forum, it makes it more personal and friendly. Hope you agree...

clorgan likes this.
  22. clorgan

clorgan Member

Absolutely - really friendly atmosphere here. Super welcoming, doesn't go un-noticed!

Acerholic likes this.
  23. Acerholic

Thats great C, glad you feel that way.

clorgan likes this.
  24. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

A very good choice.

Oh my! I just can't help it, I've instantly seen which branch I would remove, and a future line for the trunk... ^_^

clorgan and LoverOfMaples like this.
  25. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

I second that @AlainK.

You picked a good one to get started with @clorgan.

clorgan and AlainK like this.