Identification: Magenta spike

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Native Plants' started by tuffytown, Jun 26, 2019.

1. tuffytown

tuffytown Active Member

This has come up in a dry, unplanted area below fir trees. It is a spike about 12" tall with small speckled pink flowers that resemble orchids.
    Very cute but discreet. The flowers are so tiny it was hard to focus on them with the tablet

Attached Files:

2. tuffytown

tuffytown Active Member

Ok, I think I found it, spotted coralroot orchid?

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes, that's what it is.

tuffytown likes this.
  4. tuffytown

tuffytown Active Member

Thank you. I see that they are not particularly rare but they are in a vulnerable part of my yard, what should I do to protect them (2).

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hmm. Well, they won't be fed upon, other than perhaps by insects boring into the fruit and going after the seeds. These grow in association with a fungus that is growing with a nearby conifer, so I suppose the best thing to do is try to ensure the soil doesn't become compacted in the immediate area and nearby.

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Always with native orchids the thing to do is to keep the growing site the same, as much as is possible. For instance in this case if those are something like Canadian thistle seedlings around it they should be pulled out.

7. tuffytown

tuffytown Active Member

Where they came up is pretty barren at the base of a big fir and covered with needles. Some weeds come up (false dandelion and similar) that I pull regularly as I don't want it seeding out into the nearby pastures. Now that I know they are there I will put some markers in the area to avoid damaging it.

8. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    I have the same plant or a cousin - on the dry side of the Coast / Cascades mtns

In a dry forest of ponderosa / fir successioning

Open forest ie no bush like one would have at the coast

Do not disturb or move it or plant around it

Beautiful and fascinating to look at ., isn’t it

Indian Pipe is another that is eerie unusual

I rely on my Lone Pine native plant books (one for coast and other for interior )

ÉDIT to add - i find those tomato cages in plain metal to be useful protecting native lilies and coral root and milkweed, the plant that butterflies like