Looking for a tall Japanese maple for full sun

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Samara, May 19, 2012.

1. Samara

Samara Active Member Maple Society

I have become a JM addict in the last 2-3 years. So far my collection includes: Kamagata, Sango kaku, Corallinum, Koto-no-ito, A. japonicum Aconitifolium, Shindeshojo, and Red Pygmy. My next door neighbor recently cut down a large Norway maple that was dying, so now I have the chance to plant something new. It will get full sun. I'd like to grow one of the larger JMs and have been considering Osakazuki and Nuresagi, but am open to suggestions. It would be a focal point at the back corner of our yard. Any ideas?

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  2. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

My Acer palmatum 'Atrolineare' and Acer palmatum 'Trompenburg' both stand up to full sun and very harsh winter winds extremely well. I am very impressed with their performance in my area during the season’s extremes. ‘Trompenburg’ is more upright and faster growing. ‘Atrolineare’ is tall but has an arching canopy. Both add an interesting texture, 'Trompenburg' with it’s cool claw like (Matsumurae) leaves with the edges curling downward, and 'Atrolineare' has a soft texture with its long and narrow (linearilobum) leaves.

‘Osakazuki’ is a very nice tree. It grows fast initially, but then rapidly slows down in growth rate with age. If you buy one and you are looking for height, I recommend buying big, otherwise you will be waiting a very long time for it to reach what I consider to be “tallâ€.

‘Trompenburg’ grows tall very fast out of the three trees. It has a great color and almost no die back (with the exception of a few small twigs) in my area while standing up to very harsh winter winds. It stands up to heat and sun very well in the summer. I am always surprised by its drought tolerance too. ‘Trompenburg’ is a very tough tree and a strong grower. Like a fine wine it gets better with age.

3. Samara

JT1,
    Thanks very much for your suggestions. I will certainly consider them. I also appreciate your comment about Osakazuki slowing down after an initial period of rapid growth.

4. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

There are a lot of candidates, but since you're in New Jersey, I would ask Ed Shinn, who has an incredible garden with many mature JMs. He should be able to tell you what works well in your area. His moniker on these forums is NJACER.

5. Sea Witch

Sea Witch Active Member

I vote for 'Beni otake'. 20-25' height.

6. Samara

Sea Witch,
    Thanks for your suggestion. I definitely want to have a Beni otake someplace in my yard. It's a beautiful tree.

Samara

7. jwsandal

jwsandal Active Member

Seiryu is also a large green upright disectum not on your list that is faster growing. Orange red fall color and sun tolerant...

Justin

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  8. Samara

Thanks for the suggestion, Justin. Seiryu is another tree on the list of maples I'd love to grow. I think the time has come to draw up a long-term planting scheme to make the most of this embarrassment of riches.

Samara

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  9. paxi

paxi Active Member

You are looking for a "can't go wrong tree". Year round interest whether up close or far away. I think Seiryu would very nicely complement the tree collection you already have.

10. Samara

Paxi,
    Thanks very much. I definitely want to add Seiryu to my collection.

Best,
    Samara

11. Onra

Onra Member

Arakawa can be a good candidate for full sun, but does anybody know if it grows fast ?

Onra

12. ajaykalra

ajaykalra Member

Onra,

I have Arakawa and I got close to 2 ft growth this year so far (been in ground for around 4 years after being neglected in a pot for 3 years). I have in part sun but it should grow in full sun as well.

Ajay

13. Onra

Onra Member

Ok, thank for your comment ajaykalra :)