Lonicera fragrantissima...Won't Bloom

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by cbale224, Jun 27, 2020.

1. cbale224

cbale224 Active Member

To All:

I have a Lonicer frgrantissima shrub (more than 5 years old) that I can't get to to bloom. The shrub is in dappled light and gets enough moisture. I have been gardening for more than 15 years and this just confounds me...Any suggestions.

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

My Honeysuckle in it's first few years was rather temperamental in flowering, I did wonder if it was in the right position as there was not enough sunlight. You say yours is in dappled light. This maybe your problem. I moved mine to full sun and the following year lots of fragrant flowers. Although it can take two to three years after moving to settle down. They are a bit like Clematis, feet moist and upper in lots of sun to thrive. I do mulch mine each season also.
    As yours is a Winter flowering shrub, Jan to March and it needs sun to flourish, consider how much sun it is actually receiving prior to flowering. Yours possibly not enoug !!??
    Hope that's of a little help to you.

3. cbale224

cbale224 Active Member

That was very helpful...Thank you, greatly appreciated.

Acerholic likes this.
  4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Your welcome, do let the forum know how it progresses.

5. cbale224

cbale224 Active Member

I am looking for a new spot with more sun so I will let you know if that solves the problem for me...I'm thinking it should.