Lilliflora Nigra

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by ROEBUK, May 23, 2019.

1. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Don't usually venture into this forum , but just thought i would post a couple of pics of my Lilliflora Nigra bought this as a replacment for a magnolia Soulangena which i decided i would dig up and transfer to where this one is now.

This was 20+ years old and had a wonderful shape and flowered like clockwork evry year.

Not one of my best descisions but needed the space to plant more Maples. :-) Needless to say this died in it's second year due to a really bad late frost, thought i had cracked it but no!!! and i have not been allowed to forget this.
    This is it's 3rd year in the ground now and i must admit it seems to be coming on nicely , well over 30 flowers this year quite a few have dropped now but i like it, beautiful dark colours when breaking.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Although apparently of the larger order (which fits) unless perhaps due to weather conditions flowers of plant shown don't seem purple enough for 'Nigra'. Which should be entirely deep purple on the outside and with a purple stain on the inner surfaces of the tepals. This markedly dark overall appearance would be why it is called 'Nigra'.

3. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Cheers Ron so what you are saying is that the Magnolia trade is as bad as the Maple trade for mis labeling products , if it looks like something near to what it isn't the vast majority of buyers can't really tell the difference i know i can't? Not that it bothers me i just like the tree as it is, maybe it might get darker as it gets older wouldn't know, but i will watch closely every season.

And as you also say the weather conditions may be against it, has been a very mild winter here in the UK , what i know about Magnolias I could write on the back of a postage stamp, just like the tree and the colour purple but a interesting comment from your self non the less.

Many thanks.