Kwanzan Cherry Tree and Leaf Spot attack?

Discussion in 'Ornamental Cherries' started by Bobgerard, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Bobgerard

Bobgerard New Member

Just started two days ago- our Kwanzan Cherry Tree, planted in May of 2013 (this year) has started getting a bunch of yellow leaves that are falling off. I counted ten yesterday. I was was thinking from lack of water so I did a slow stream from the hose for about 20 minutes.
    Today I found about 15 more had yellowed and fallen off. Several more are turning yellow. They all have some spotting on them- some more than others. (See attached photo I just took today)
    Checking various things on-line, and comparing pictures of affected Leaf Drop leaves, it looks like that's what we have. Most of the tree is vibrant and healthy, but selected leaves are turning yellow and dropping very fast.
    If it is Leaf Spot, I have read nothing much can be done this late in the season (nearly Autumn) and that any treatments should be done in early spring (a fungicide treatment).
    My question- Will this tree die? It stands about 10 feet high and has been very healthy all Spring and Summer. Can it withstand an attack of Spot Leaf? Or do you think it is something else???
    Thanks for ideas.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Spellcheck: 'Kanzan' (no "w")

The leaves look OK to me, it is not unusual for a few leaves to start autumn leaf fall before the rest. If the rest of the tree is healthy, there isn't likely to be a problem.

3. Bobgerard

Bobgerard New Member

Thank you for looking at the pictures and for your observation. I hope it is just an early autumn dropping. It is a new tree (we have planted several differenk kinds this year in our new home) and its a learning process for us.
    I found the spelling is with a "w" , ie., " Kwanzan" "Kwanzan Cherry, Prunus serrulata, is the most popular and hardiest of the double flowering pink cherries."... here is a link to one of the info sites about this tree: www.kwanzancherry.com

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

You're welcome!

The nursery is wrong, the official registered cultivar name is 'Kanzan'. No idea where the w came from, but it shouldn't be there.

5. Bobgerard

Bobgerard New Member

I am glad that its not Leaf Spot, and am loking forward to its beautiful foliage this Autumn and the flowers next Spring.
    This is interesting- I did some checking and found that both spellings are evidently accepted:
    ‘Kanzan’ (synonymous with ‘Kwanzan’ and ‘Sekiyama’) is a double flowered Japanese flowering cherry that is noted for its profuse and showy spring bloom." http://www.missouribotanicalgarden....nder/plant-details/kc/c128/prunus-kanzan.aspx

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

It was spelled 'Kwanzan' for years but eventually 'Kanzan' became more favored by some in the west - with Kuitert, Japanese Cherries (1999, Timber Press) characterizing 'Kwanzan' as an "obsolete" spelling - while Jacobson, Trees of Seattle - Second Edition (2006) was continuing to list the tree under the still prevalent 'Kwanzan' - with the observation that "Both the 'Kwanzan' and 'Sekiyama' names refer to the same sacred mountain" .

Kuitert (same) has more about the naming of the mountain as it pertains to the cherry.

7. Bobgerard

Bobgerard New Member

Thanks for the clarifications. I am glad its Kanzan, the other was sounds like that holiday.
    Anyway, I was looking at the newest leaf droppings. They sure look like photos I have seen of Leaf Spot. I am attaching three more pics that might indicate something. If you can look and share any more ideas ?
    I also included a general photo of the tree, just for overall appearance.
    Thanks again :-)

Attached Files:

8. Ron B

Your lawn looks pretty damp, cherry trees must have good drainage. Poke around in the planting hole - including the original root-ball - and check soil moisture. Portions of the leaf coverage going yellow and dropping prematurely is often a soil moisture problem - either not enough or too much.

Much of the time when the top of a plant goes bad it is due to poor conditions in the root zone.

9. Bobgerard

Bobgerard New Member

Actually the ground is rather dry. The tree is on a gentle slope and it doesn't seem to be to wet. Actually, we had not had a measurable rain (or watering) in over a week, so I did a slow drip for 20 minutes with the hose. (Hmmm, that's when it started to yellow come to think of it!)
    OK, I will hold off in any more watering.
    But, do you think it is Leaf Spot or are we safe?

10. Ron B

Dig around in the dirt and find out what the situation is for sure.

11. Bobgerard

Bobgerard New Member

The soil is very dry for the first two inches down. Also, the newest leaves that have fallen since yesterday (about 20) don't have spots like the earlier ones did, so maybe it is too dry, or just an early Autumn for the tree, as was suggested. I watered again this evening, slowly pouring about three gallons into the root ball area. It soaked right up.

12. Ron B

Yes, that was probably the problem.