In The Garden: Kindly identify this plant

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by khabbab, Mar 8, 2016.

1. khabbab

khabbab Active Member

Hi,
    I was sold this plant as a deciduous magnolia and it was kept in a greenhouse so probably it did not go through dormancy so it kept its leaves. Can some one confirm which magnolia species it is, if it is a magnolia at all. I will return the plant if it is not a magnolia. I live in a subtropical and mild winter climate. And we have temps going into mid 20 C these days.
    I think there is a bud i can see in the first picture, but not sure.

Regards,
    Muhammad Khabbab
    Lahore, Pakistan

Attached Files:

• mag1.jpg
      mag1.jpg
      File size:
      240.4 KB
      Views:
    • mag2.jpg
      mag2.jpg
      File size:
      277.3 KB
      Views:
  2. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

I'm an amateur, but I doubt anyone can ID this as a magnolia for certain at this stage. Generally flowers are the deciding factor. Your tiny but in the second pic is very spherical looking, but so immature right yet. For the various magnolias in my limited experience, both evergreen and deciduous, wild and cultivated, the bud looks too round. But it's a huge genus, with lots of differences. I couldn't say that your pictures are inconsistent with magnolia, but I wouldn't ID it for certain either.

As the bud matures, starts to open or changes color and texture, someone may be able to comment definitively.

3. khabbab

khabbab Active Member

Thank you, i understand that it may be too early to confirm if it is some magnolia. I will wait for the flower.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Second-year bark and shape looks magnolia-like, for what it's worth.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Looks more on the order of Calycanthaceae to me - unless those always have paired leaves. It certainly wasn't deciduous, at any rate.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019