KEW GARDENS, LONDON, 250th ANNIVERSARY

Discussion in 'Photography and Art' started by RICHARD MASSON, Feb 26, 2009.

1. RICHARD MASSON

RICHARD MASSON Active Member

This year is the 250th anniversary of Kew Gardens - so we (Pat, my wife and I)thought would be a nice day out! Listed are some of the plants that caught my (& Pat's!) eye, with the anniversary flower display pictures at the end.

Picture 1 is the famous Palm House - where several of the plants I feature here are grown,to set the scene.

Pictures 2/3/4 is Amorphohallus dunnii, although at Kew on the sign it is spelt Amorphoohallus. I thought the leaves a interesting shape, and how they seemed to have a "vein" running on the top of the stem, and unusual bark. (Picture is on its side)

Pictures 5/6/7 is Caryota rumphiana, "Fishtail Palm", in flower. The information sign said it was 12 years old, 20 Metres tall, and within two years "will run out of energy and die". They are hand pollinating to produce more seeds. The leaves are intersting too. A beautiful plant. (Picture 5 is on its side)

Pictures 8/9 is Attalea butyracea "the largest palm in the palm house" - quite spectacular.

Picture 10 is the beautiful white dwarf shrub, Senecio haworthii.

Picture 11 is Encephalartos woodii, a cycad "One of the world's rarest plants"
    "Only one tree was ever found, ... in 1895 ... in Zululand".

Pictures 12/13/14 are general shots of Orchids etc which form a part of the 250th Birthday "Tropical Extravaganza" display which runs until 08 March 2009

Of course there are thousands more plants and more greenhouses all set in 300 acres -if you are ever in London - do pay Kew Gardens a visit!

Attached Files:

2. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Interesting thing about fishtail palms unlike most palms they start flowering at the top first then down until palm dies. Nice pics.