Jasminum Stephanense-to prune or not to prune

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by donablanca, Apr 2, 2008.

1. donablanca

donablanca Member

that is the question.

I bought this last fall and left it in a pot all winter. It lost almost all its leaf (except for the tips). Now new growth is showing on the tips but nowhere else. Do I have to cut it back or will leaf (and flowers hopefully) emerge along the stem length? I have transplanted it into a very large pot. I am a very novice gardener and would appreciate the advice.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I suspect it will grow back, as it sounds like it is a robust plant. Pruning advice is given on that site, as well (if it ends up flourishing)

3. David P

David P Member

I moved into an old Victorian cottage in Somerset about 18 months ago. The cottage came with the old village water pump housed in an out building which is covered in Jasminum Stephanense, which makes the building look like it has a magnificent green afro hair style. I imagine it is quite old as the 5 main stems are about 8-9 cms in diameter at ground level.

Not being an accomplished gardener could someone please advise how I go about pruning this as it is getting abit wild and I don't want to kill it off by hacking away at it.

Many thanks in advance for any replies.

Attached Files: