Japanese Maple

Discussion in 'Maples' started by patdero1, Oct 29, 2015.

1. patdero1

patdero1 Active Member Maple Society

I have two 15 foot blood goods in my front yard that produce an abundance of seeds. My growing zone is 6b. I purchased this home three years ago and have never seen a seedling growing. I have checked under every bush shrub with no luck. The question that I have is, do some maples produce a sterile seed?
    Over the past three years I have planted about 65 different cultivars of maples. I'm kind of of a addict.
    Thanks for your help!
    Pat

kalod likes this.
  2. kalod

kalod New Member Maple Society

Hi Pat,

Im from Vietnam, and cant advise any, but bothering you :).
    Have you collected seeds and try stratify in refrigerator? I would love to get some for germination in my location, ofcourse in refrigerator :), if you dont mind to share?

Tks in adv!
    Karl

3. patdero1

patdero1 Active Member Maple Society

As long as it's legal to ship seeds I'll ship you some. To answer your question I do get them to sprout on the fridge.

Pat

kalod likes this.
  4. garcan

garcan Active Member 10 Years

I am in zone 5b and have a collection similar in size (may be a bit more) to yours. They seeded around everywhere even though most of the seeds were consumed by squirrels. They seemed to start doing that after some years. It will happen to you sooner or later (especially after some rough seasons?).

kalod likes this.