japanese maple in Houston,Tx 9a

Discussion in 'Maples' started by samiam, Jul 2, 2015.

1. samiam

samiam New Member

any one have luck growing japanese maples in Houston ,Tx 9a... I am moving there

2. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

I am not living in Houston but my brothers are. I gave them a few (bloodgood & laceleaf JMs) to try a few years ago. The bloodgood is survived but not too well while the laceleaf could not make. I told them to keep it under a shade tree and well water but I believe the heat is quite high in the summer while it was not cold enough in winter for these acers to be doing well down there.
    But I did run across one member in this forum that successfully raised JMs in Houston and he keeps all his plants in the pots so he can move them around in the summer.
    Best of luck, steven

3. maplesmagpie

maplesmagpie Active Member

You might find this website and nursery very interesting-- he's experimented with which varieties do best in Texas heat and sun, and has even developed a few 'Shantun' cultivars to do well there:

http://www.metromaples.com/

4. TheScarletPrince

TheScarletPrince Member

Very interesting website, thank you.
    I'm wondering how the trees are treated, if they are systemically treated with chemicals, etc. I would prefer not, perhaps I must contact the grower.

5. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

You might want to search this forum for posts by a user named "nelran", who lives or lived in Houston. He has a lot of experience and success growing and I think he's shared some advice over the years. Hasn't been very active on the forum recently though.

6. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I will second looking for nelran's posts. I couldn't remember his name so I am glad Emery did! He shared much info about which JM cultivars do well there and the growing techniques he used. More work than growing in a cooler climate, but it can be done.

7. Phillip T

Phillip T New Member

I’m in Houston and looking to solve issues as seen in the attached
    BC028C5C-7D85-40F1-8529-8A823D551526.jpeg 25F553C1-31C2-4D6E-9C61-613D76DBFFBB.jpeg 2FF28927-6711-44F8-9C6A-2F7B679E81B7.jpeg pics. The yellowing continues…

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2021