japanese garden in an arid environment

Discussion in 'Japanese Gardens' started by bekN, Jul 24, 2007.

1. bekN

bekN Member

hi

does anybody have expirience with constructing a japanese garden in an arid enviroment,i was thinking of using ausi or south african plants insted of the plants that obviusly cant grow in the desert...

im not planing a large scale garden but a modest 5 \2 meter garden,wich some of it will be stones and pebbles and some of it vegetation,and exept of grasses i would like a small flowering spot perhaps a gravilea or protea ,any idea?

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

You could also use native Pinus halepensis (אורן ירושלים) in place of the Japanese pines usually used.

3. bekN

bekN Member

The fact is im not sure ill have enough space and light,but pinely speaking i think that pinus pinea will be more suitable and will be fine as long as it gets aditional water in sumer.

i think p.helepensis tend to get more of a shaggy looking then other species of pines,and i really dont like them as bonsai as well,i think that a juniper will do well as well...

thanks
    noam

4. Michael F

5. bekN

bekN Member

ive been trying to find this specie for quite a long time,i dont think it had ever been cultivated...

i gather that you speak hebrew...:]

good evening
    noam

6. Michael F

Try collecting your own seed, or growing it from cuttings from wild plants?
    Unfortunately not! I just used google advanced search with the scientific name and and Hebrew language, e.g.: http://www.google.com/search?as_q=juniperus+phoenicea&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search&lr=lang_iw
    and then copied and pasted in what looked to be the Hebrew name!

7. bekN

bekN Member

i see,very clever!

anywho,Juniperus phoenicea or red juniper ,could not be find in the wild of israel and palastine ,allthoguh you could find it untill the roman era .acording to archeology.

today you can find it in the region of sinai and jordan,but allso quite rarly,but fortunatley i have found a nursery which sell it ,so it had been cultivated after all...

noam

8. Michael F

Overcutting, or too many goats, or both?

Glad you were able to find a nursery selling it!

9. bekN

bekN Member

i dont think that goats are too fond of juniper leaves,and i would expect that the resolt of grazing will be a reduction of the plants to shruby form and not Annihilation,allthough it may couse the plant to not be able to reproduct it self...

but ive cheaked again ,and it seems that the plant have been extinct much earlier then ive thought ,in the neolithic era,due to deforestation and a change of climate.

10. Michael F

They (or rather, sheep) are certainly very effective at eradicating Juniperus communis here - the adult plants may survive, but the seedlings don't, and after a few hundred years, there's none left once the old plants have died out.

Fires do not help either, of course.

11. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

I think you will find goats very fond of Juniper types mine certainly are and anything else they are not supposed to eat :)
    Liz

"i dont think that goats are too fond of juniper leaves,and i would expect that the resolt of grazing will be a reduction of the plants to shruby form and not Annihilation,allthough it may couse the plant to not be able to reproduct it self...'