Jade leaves turning black and falling off

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by erinrenee, Sep 2, 2010.

1. erinrenee

erinrenee Member

Hi,
    I noticed my 4 year old jade plant seems to be dying from the bottom up. The leaves turn brownish black and shrivel up and fall off. It takes about a week from the time I notice the brown on the tips of the bottom most leaves for them to fall off. This seems to be working it's way up the plant. There is also a silvery, almost glittery substance that rubs off the affected leaves. This seems to have started after I fertilized with Schultz 2.7.7. cactus plus formula, although none of my other houseplants are affected by whatever this is. I treat them all the same and they all are under the same conditions. I don't know if that was a coincidence or not. The plant is about 12 inches tall and the bottom 6 inches of leaves have already fallen off. The top of the plant still seems extremely healthy. Also, the plant hasn't seemed to grow at all for about 6 months. I have attached some photos of the affected leaves if that would help. Can anyone tell me what this might be?
    Thank you,
    Erin

Attached Files:

2. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

Pluck all the leaves off that are affected. It might be that you are giving it too much water and too much water can lead to a fungal infection.

3. archana

archana New Member

i am facing the same problem ... in winter my gollum jade was healthy but this summer temperature rises to 46°c ... within 2 days of temperature rise all leaves turns black ...there are few who are healthy ... i dont know the exact reason but probably this is due to intense heat during noon ... as my plant was in open ... i have now kept it in a shade !! lets see if there is any chance of survival !! please suggest me some cure if anybody having it !