Identification: It is flowering, but what is it ?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by iSoph, Apr 18, 2007.

1. iSoph

iSoph Member

Hello,

I've had this plant for a few years. When I got it it was ball-shaped, but it grew a big stem, and has transfered from one pot to another because the head was too heavy for the stem... Now it seems to be flowering, and there are smaller plants at the root and on the stem.

What is it ? Can I remove the smaller plant on the stem and put it in another pot, or should I wait for it to fall ?

Attached Files:

2. mosscampion

mosscampion Active Member

It looks like it might be some species of Echeveria (there are lots)...in any case, it's almost surely a succulent in the Crassulaceae family and these plants are pretty easy to propagate via stem or leaf cuttings. You can take a single leaf (letting it dry out first) and stick in right into some well-draining soil. You can also take a stem cutting (again, letting it dry to the point that it callouses over) and then root that into some soil. Wherever you made the cut in the parent plant stem, there should be new rosettes in time. The key with these plants is to be sure not to overwater the cuttings because rot is common. Some suggest just misting the cutting in its new environment until it forms roots.

When I got my first Echeveria, I found this website informative:
    http://www.succulent-plant.com/propagation.html

I'm also attempting to propagate my Echeveria right now, although my reason is that I knocked the plant over and a large stem broke off!

3. TonyR

TonyR Active Member

Could be X Pachyveria (Echeveria X Pachyphytum), of which there are numerous varieties.