Is this Rust?

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by Sabine, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Sabine

Sabine Active Member

I have an Amelanchier Laevis that we planted last fall, and has done wonderfully up to now. It flowered fantastically about a month ago, and has been vigorously leafing out and starting berry production since. Lately though I have been noticing strange orange dots on some of the leaves. Some are very tiny and almost look like pinpricks of orange, some leaf edges are brown and curled up, and some of the leaves (and one berry in the making) have big bright orange spots. I know the pic doesn't give a ton of detail, but the spots are a deep orange with lighter orange little dots all clustered together.

It looks like rust on something metal, which is why I am wondering if it is rust the fungal disease. I am pretty ignorant on this stuff, and am such a new gardener I have never had to deal with plant disease before.

Can someone please identify this disease or insect problem for me? Any organic methods of solving it would be excellent as well. I love my pretty little tree, and really want to save it.

Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hmm... apple-cedar rust, perhaps? You moistened the infected areas, correct? (i.e., it is not typically glossy and wet)

3. Sabine

Sabine Active Member

Correct, the shiny wetness is a rain drop.

4. SUNRIZE

SUNRIZE Active Member

Same question here too…this last winter my CRYPTOCEREUS ANTHONYANUS started getting these orange spotted blisters. It was getting pretty bad and spreading over the plant so in desperation I repotted it from the plastic container it was in to a hanging basket lined with coconut husk hoping that maybe the problem was the plant was staying to wet and needed to dry out more? (Winter rain is really a pain here) I currently have it growing outside in semi shade and I cut off the bad parts and I’ve been spraying it with Orthonex for insects and disease control. So far my treatment seems to be helping the photos are of the original break out and I’ve not seen any new attacks. This is the only plant I have that’s ever had this type of problem.

Attached Files: