Is there any hope for my venus flytrap seeds?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Bambi, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Bambi

Bambi Active Member

I received my seeds via mail, mixed 50% perlite and 50% peat moss together and put the seeds on the surface. I kept the soil moist with clear rain water, on a window sill with a piece of clear plastic over the pot.

I did all this about 2 months ago, and I got nothing. Well, a mysterious weed grew in the pot which was probably in the soil mix.

And then a couple weeks ago I put the pot into a ziploc bag, zipped up.

The instructions I have said they germinate "within 2 to 4 weeks but may take months to a year" is this correct?

This is my first time growing a plant, is there anything I did wrong? Is there any hope?

I've included a picture of the pot.

Attached Files:

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi Bambi,

It sounds like you did the right things. Cool temperatures would inhibit germination. The seeds of some plants can take a year to germinate (or longer)—I don't know about Venus flytrap, Dionaea muscipula.

I must say you have chosen a rather challenging project if this is the first plant you have tried to grow. Here is a link to some germination instructions and seedling care from the International Carnivorous Plant Society:
    http://www.carnivorousplants.org/seedbank/species/Dionaea.htm

3. flytrap

flytrap Active Member

Flytrap seeds, like their other North american carnivorous plants require a period of stratification ( a 6-8 week period of cold). This mimics the natural conditions of VFT, Dionaea muscipula (North Carolina). The cold period followed by warmth and moisture "wakens" the seed into germination. Seeds generally germinate anywhere from a couple of weeks to a few months.

I'm currently growing over a thousand VFT from seeds, and I gave it a short stratification period of a couple of weeks before sowing it into a 50:50 peat/sand mix.

4. flytrap

flytrap Active Member

Here's a pic of some of my baby VFTs from last fall:

Attached Files:

5. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Neat. Baby sundews also elicit the same response.

6. flytrap

flytrap Active Member

Soooo...Bambi, any news if your VFT seeds germinated?

7. Bambi

Bambi Active Member

Unfortunately they did not. It was definitely a temperature problem. Perhaps I'll buy some more seeds and try again in a warmer area of the house and not a window sill in late winter/early spring.

Any more tips?

8. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

Have you tried using a heat pad, I find with tropicals, you need consistency with the temperature. Especially when the night temperature drops by five degrees of more.

9. flytrap

flytrap Active Member

Actually,VFTs are temperate plants, originating from a tiny spot on the US east coast (at the N/S Carolinas border). And Carol is correct, a bit of bottom heat does help.

No real secret to growing VFTs, except that your seeds need to be fresh (not any older than 3 months). They can be sowed immediately upon collection from the seed pods, or stored up to six month in the refridgerator. There is talk of a need to stratify the seeds, but in my experience, that is not required for really fresh seeds... but if your seeds are a few months old, it may help the seed break dormancy with a bit of stratification.

Here's a 2006 seed crop given to me from a friend who grows them en masse, but I've distributed most of the seeds already. Drop me a note next season, I'll place some aside for you.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
  10. sgulsen

sgulsen Member

hey,
    next time i'd suggest you be careful putting water on the soil. try using a very small and very weak water jet. and instead of filling the pot with water, moisture it. i grew drosera before, but i saw all seeds dropped down from the lower pod as i put water. since the seeds are too small, soil does not hold them.
    the other comments about warmth and etc, they are all correct.
    by the way, i am also looking for some seeds. is there anybody who has some venus and/or drosera seeds?
    thanks
    sanran