Is anyone growing a wisteria vine? See a peek of my seedling...

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by The Hollyberry Lady, May 4, 2009.

1. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

This little baby will take 7-15 years to bloom, because I grew it from seed! It just had it's shower before the pic was taken. Soon it will go outside, to be planted in the earth!

This plant is part of the pea family, and has lovely showy flowers that dangle down from the vine in Spring. If you have ever seen a picture of Wisteria in Spring, you would know why someone would wait 1-3 years for blooms - or even 7-15!!!

This vine is also very attractive, even when it is not blooming! If it is kept regularily pruned, it will not be able to take over, which it has a tendency of doing, if it is not kept in check! Plus too, the more you prune it, the more it is said to bloom!

I have cuttings that a friend was kind enough to share with me though too, so those will bloom in 1-3 years! My hardwood Wisteria cuttings showed top growth within 8 days of being put into soil!!! I was so shocked! I will show pics of the growing cuttings tomorrow.

For now though, here is my seedling...

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      175.4 KB
      Views:
  2. The Hollyberry Lady

Here's the cuttings that started growing, after only 8 days of being put into soil!...

Attached Files:

• 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      107.2 KB
      Views:
    • 022.jpg
      022.jpg
      File size:
      228 KB
      Views:
    • 014.jpg
      014.jpg
      File size:
      111.1 KB
      Views:
  3. The Hollyberry Lady

Another cutting (in middle), that even has leaves on it now too!...

Attached Files:

4. The Hollyberry Lady

My seedling is really taking off now. I have now added a steel stake for it to twine around. I am trying to turn this one into a little tree. When it reaches the desired height, you cut the top off! Also, you keep all the side branches cut so that it keeps it's tree-like appearance.

I also am going to experiment with some of the cuttings, and try to do a bonsai, as well....

Attached Files:

5. Laticauda

Laticauda Active Member

I'm really excited about this! I am getting the Chinese Wisteria seed soon, I hope it germinates for me. However, I just purchased some seeds of the Japanese Wisteria, and I am really eager for those as well!! Your little seedling is looking GREAT! How long has it been since you sowed the seed?

6. The Hollyberry Lady

This little vine is approaching two months old now, but not quite. It's not really a seedling anymore, as it is in full vegetative growth. It is so healthy looking, and gets fertilized with a formula very low in Nitrogen, which also encourages early flowering, if applied throughout the years. Regualrily pruned vines as well, are said to bloom far sooner than non-pruned ones.

I am so excited too! I will soon have seeds for the Japanese floribunda variety as well! Someone from this forum has been kind enough to send them to me, for free! I am so grateful. I now have seeds and cuttings for the Chinese variety, and now seeds for the Japanese variety also! Yippeeee.

Please keep us posted on your vines as well. We can both show pics too! I am really enjoying this experience wholeheartedly. My Chinese seeds took a bit more than 2 weeks to pop, so be patient. The seeds look like light brown 'smarties'! They are neat looking. Wisteria seeds, pods, and leaves, are poisonous, so it might be a good precaution to wash your hands after working with them.

I cannot wait for my little 'tree' to get taller...

: )

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  7. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

I grow wisteria in all forms my favorite is the tree form. I have one huge one in tree form "not the one in the pictures" one riseing and getting redy to be planted "the one in the pot black pot" and one in vine form or use to be, we had a fense last year but over the winter we took it down and moved it back because the dogs were destroying the plants in that area. I also just took a root cutting and it came up, I think I will let it grow over the greenhouse and let it be like a type of shade cloth?

Attached Files:

8. The Hollyberry Lady

Ohhhh thank you for those pics Blake09! I love your little wisteria trees! Exactly what I am trying to do with mine! A picture says a thousand words, so thanks again for the peeks.

Your trees look very healthy, lush and green! How often do you have to prune them to keep their tree-like shape? Do you use fertilizer at all? I am very impressed with your specimens.

Good luck with your cutting...

9. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

No I don't even use fertilizer I dont prune them that much "on the big one I cut back all of the new groath from the past year that looks kinda of green and dosent have the thick barck look" I just trane the stems to grow the rite way on the younger ones.

10. The Hollyberry Lady

Blake09:

How old are your 'trees'? Have you ever seen them bloom? I asked about fertilizer, only because I heard if you give something low in nitrogen, but high in phosporous and potassium, that it would bloom sooner, along with regular pruning.

Everyone has the right to treat their vine the way they want to though, so I respect your way of doing things too. Obviously, you are doing something right! I am just new to growing this vine, and want to do things the best way.

I am a big believer in fertilizing my plants however, because I have seen excellent results time and time again. I will continue to give my little vine an organic water-soluble liquid fertilizer with 0% Nitrogen. It seems to be liking it, by the looks of things.

Your pics are an inspiration to me, Blake09! I am so happy to have viewed them. It has given me a better idea of how I would like to shape my 'trees' as well. Thank you.

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  11. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

The tree in the black pot "I cant exactily remember its age" but maby 5 or 6 yers and the vine one is 3 or 4 yers old. Yes I have seen my older trees bloom. The one in the pot will get one bloom, the vine will get one bloom but I dont think it will bloom this year because it is uste to growing on a fense "they are not mature enough to have tons of blooms". Really I just grow them like trees put them in soil and water But I think they would like fertilizer might try it some time. :)

12. The Hollyberry Lady

I bet you would get more blooms if you did use some fertilizer Blake09! Just remember to make sure the first number in the formula (N = Nitrogen), is extremely low - or none at all! This will encourage less leaf growth, and more flowers! Your trees really are great though - thanks again, for sharing.

I will continue to post pics as mine gets bigger..

13. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

Thanks for the tip on fertilizer :)

14. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

Heres the grown trees "not really" notice on the one that it has sticks on the side of it, lately it was sterting to lene toward the ground so I put sticks up and now they are getting redy to be removed.

Attached Files:

15. The Hollyberry Lady

Yeah, so weird that you are telling me about this today too! A friend of mine had their vine that was trained into a tree, snap - just today! It was over 6 years old!

Wisteria is extremely top heavy, and if it is trained into a tree, it is advisable to incorporate a metal stake into the center of the 'trunk', to strengthen it, and give it support over the years.

16. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

just wanted to show you an update on my root cutting wisteria, grown a good 3-4in.

*just took the picture 1 hour ago*

Attached Files:

17. The Hollyberry Lady

Very Nice Blake09! It looks great.

Also, if ya add a metal stake it will keep the trunk straight. I am training mine around the stake while it is still young, and I was told to keep wrapping it around the metal until it's good and thick, to make a real sturdy, nearly unbreakable trunk.

18. The Hollyberry Lady

Well Laticauda - when you get a chance I think you should post a pic of your thriving Chinese Wisteria seedling. Laticauda pierced the seed 1st, then soaked it in water, and it germinated in less than a week!!! It is growing like crazy I am told.

They do grow like mad, so I am not surprised. The more sun they receive, the faster they take off. I am pretty excited to put one or two outside in the ground soon. Should be pretty interesting.

I will post pics of my vines too, later...

19. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

I have a Evergreen Wisteria cutting that im growing .. i cant wait for it to get bigger .. i need to get it potted up and outside .. almost lost it a couple of times ..

Marion

20. The Hollyberry Lady

Wow Marn - what is an evergreen wisteria? How does it differ from the Chinese and Japanese types that I have? I am rooting Chinese wisteria cuttings too - it's so fun.

21. Marn

It doesnt lose it's leaves in the warmer climates... and from what i just seen .. i think it only comes in purple blooms ..

here is a link for some more info ..

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/59543/

Marion

22. The Hollyberry Lady

Wow, is that ever pretty. Thanks for the link. Has your cutting rooted yet?

23. Marn

Oy ya it has roots .. it came to me rooted and small .. but got dumped a couple of times .. it is now sitting in water in the window .. doing not to bad but i guess it would do better outside ..

Marion

24. The Hollyberry Lady

Yeah, get that baby outdoors already! It will likely take right off!

25. Marn

Oh ya im going to .. i got to get the rest of the house done cause the inlaws are comeing and then im gonna garden also .. need to mow the lawn and weedeat .. lol.. ive got a few plants i want to get started also .. need to get the watermelons going .. :)

Marion

cayhoatudang likes this.