ID Please - Edible or Not?

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by navieko, Jan 5, 2010.

1. navieko

navieko Member

2. sabetts

sabetts Active Member

Pretty mushrooms! What color is the spore print?

3. navieko

navieko Member

Haven't actually taken spore prints yet... figured they'd probably be common and identified without the need -- but if you want I can take a print and post a picture?

4. sabetts

sabetts Active Member

A picture of the print works. Or just describe the color. Since the mushroom looks like a parasol and is growing on grass I thought it might be chlorophyllum molybdites, which has a greenish print. It's poisonous.

5. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

My money is on Chlorophyllum molydbities, locally called 'the vomitter'.

6. navieko

navieko Member

Spore prints are green... does this confirm any suspicions?

7. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

The spore print confirms the ID 100% - of Chlorophyllum molydbities. Note that on your specimens, you can run your thumb along the cap and the scales or warts easily flake off. On the edible look alike, Lepiota rachodes (now really Chlorophyllum rachodes), which has a white spore print, the scales do not easily flake off. There are a number of subtle differences but this is a place to start your learning curve.

8. navieko

navieko Member

Appreciate the help guys. I have quite a bit of knowledge on the local edibles of plants, etc, but mushrooms is one field I've yet to really learn about. Might see me back here with more photos in the future -- it's something I'd like to learn more about.

Cheers.

9. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

we'd love more pictures. Especially when my mushroom hunting ground is frozen and buried in several of snow like it is now.

10. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

May I suggest a workshop on mushroom hunting/death watch? TOO many people have made FATAL judgements on what is safe to eat and what is not....

11. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Here's a link to a free site that has many followers in Australia... http://www.redbubble.com/mushroom-fungi-art
    We post images from all over the world but the main setting is Australia...hope it helps with some ID's of fungi you find? We're finding out that most of the rainforest mushies especially, are still waiting on ID's.
    Love your green-spored fellows! Found my first this year myself. Splendidly HUGE fellows to see popping up in the lawn.