I need help with Acerola.

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by jeanneaxler, Mar 25, 2009.

1. jeanneaxler

jeanneaxler Active Member

I planted an Acerola (Barbados cherry) last fall. It is a mature tree. I had 2 episodes of bloom with no fruit before the winter (I am in Los Angeles).
    About 2 months ago it lost all its leaves suddenly, it wilted overnight. I thought a gofer had got to the roots but then I read that it can lose its leaves when there is a sudden cold spell.
    Now it is spring here and all other deciduous trees are leafing out, my tomato plants have their first green tomatoes ( not bragging just giving an idea of the kind of weather we have had) but the Acerola doesn't seem to have any hint of a bud.
    I don't think it is dead.
    Am I just too impatient or is it doomed?
    If anyone has an idea I would love to hear it!

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Perhaps try a seach for Malpighia glabra over the internet. There may be some info that will help you. In the mean time, leave it alone.
    You said gopher? I had no idea there where gophers in LA.

Cheers, LPN.

3. jeanneaxler

Thanks, LPN.

Unfortunately all the websites say pretty much the same thing and ,yes, I will leave it alone for the moment.

As for the gopher population I sometimes think I have the original breeding pair and most of their descendants!

4. popper1

popper1 Member

How cold did it get? We had a terrible winter in Florida and mine lost some but not all of its leaves.

5. jeanneaxler

I don't think it got lower than 35 briefly at night.
    But the Acerola is definitely dead. The last wind blew it over and it was evident that someone feasted on the roots.
    The next one will be in a metal cage.