I can't identify this plant!

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Nature Obsessed, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Nature Obsessed

Nature Obsessed Member

I was on a walk and found this flower that I have never seen before. I was wondering what type it was. It's about two inches in diameter and bright purple. It has zebra stripes around the center and a strange core. There are many stringy purple petals surrounding the core. In the center, there are small yellow pads enclosed by green arches. It is very exotic-looking. If you can identify this flower, please tell me.

Thank you,

- Devin

Attached Files:

2. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Look up Passiflora species.

3. martinpribble

martinpribble Active Member

yep passionfruit of sorts

4. Nature Obsessed

Nature Obsessed Member

Yes, that's it! Thank you so much. Is there a name for it that's not scientific?

5. Nature Obsessed

Nature Obsessed Member

I don't think that's a passion fruit but thanks anyway..... :)

6. martinpribble

7. photopro

It shows every characteristic of a Passiflora species. According to TROPICOS there are hundreds of species. If you want to figure out which species you'll have to look through the list of photos on a botanical site like TROPICOS one by one. But regardless, it is some sort of passion fruit species, but perhaps not the one most people are used to seeing.

8. Nature Obsessed

Nature Obsessed Member

Oh, okay. Thank you. I'll look at that website.

9. Nature Obsessed

Nature Obsessed Member

Alright thank you. I found it! But is there an unscientific name for it?

10. Nature Obsessed

Nature Obsessed Member

Oh, never mind. It is called Maypop. Thank you so much for the help.

11. martinpribble

We just call them Passionfruit here in Australia... I've never heard of Maypop, but you are correct that it is called that.

12. photopro

Passionfruit is certainly one of the common names.

13. Nature Obsessed

Nature Obsessed Member

Thank you both so much. You have been a great help! Mr. martinpribble, you said you live in Australia? I'm here in Florida. Do either of you know what type of soil and climate Maypops would need to grow? I think I would like some in my yard. :)

Thanks again,

- Devin

14. martinpribble

A couple of things to consider (i'll call them passionfruit):

1. You are in florida so I'm assuming the weather is warm. Passionfruits will thrive in this environment, but if in a very sunny and dry climate, partial shade is good. Protect from frosts if applicable/possible.

2. Neutral pH and sandy loam soil is perfect. Good drainage is essential. Watering during drier months is beneficial.

3. Passionfruit is delicious. Choose a variety that is edible and you will grow to ove them. In Australia, the most popular variety of passionfruit is "Nellie Kelly", but I'm not sure what the availablilty of this plant is in the USA. Don't eat the skin, just slice in half ans spoon out the seeds and pulp. Great on ice-cream. Do your research and find out which varieties grow well in Florida, and are also edible. You won't be disappointed!

4. Passionfruit vine get very large, so choose a position with at least 2m upward and 4m lateral climbing room. The do react well to pruning, so cut back where you don't want it. They will get as large as you let them. Make sure that the climbing structure is secure, as passionfruits have been known to pull down things like wooden lattice or twine structures.

5. The passionfruit is ripe for picking when firm and in full blush, or in some cases when the skin starts to wrinkle.

6. Most passionfruit have these large showy blooms, so you'll be rewarded with this regardless of the variety you choose. Speak to your local plant nurseryman for their advice on the best variety for your needs.

7. You'll have more luck with a grafted plant than with seeds. With the right rootstock your plant will thrive. Watch for growth below the graft as this can get out of control.

8. I am finding it difficult to find where you might buy in Florida but you could start here:

http://ecolage.safeshopper.com/59/cat59.htm?21 scroll down for passiflora

or maybe eBay.

That's all I have time for right now.

Cheers

Martin

15. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

They're available in every garden centre here in Vancouver, though I've not seen them sold for their fruiting qualities; they're mostly referred to as Passionflower and are sold as ornamental plants.

16. Nature Obsessed

Nature Obsessed Member

Thank you, KarenL. I believe I will look up on that!

~Devin~

17. Nature Obsessed

Nature Obsessed Member

Wow, thanks a bunch for so much useful information, martinpribble. You have helped me so much! I am going to try growing an edible type, so that I can taste the passionfruit. I will make sure to eat in on ice cream for you! :) i am sure it is delicious.

~Devin~

18. photopro

Great info Martin, and very accuate. If you like the taste of Hawaiian Punch (you know, the grocery store kind, then you already like Passion Fruit. It is a principal ingredient for the tangy taste.

19. Nature Obsessed

Nature Obsessed Member

Oh, yes I have had Fruit Punch before....tastes great! Thanks again. But I still would like to taste the plant itself. Which part is edible?

20. martinpribble

Just the fruit. Like i said above, don't eat the skin as it is poisonous. Just scoop out the seeds and pulp.

21. Nature Obsessed

Nature Obsessed Member

oh, ok. Umm... the flower I found has no fruit. Is it a different type or has it not yet bloomed?

22. photopro

You just got there before the fruit did! We used to have a wooden fence totally covered on both sides with this vine. After the flower forms a fruit will soon follow. It's worth the wait!

23. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

24. Nature Obsessed

Nature Obsessed Member

Hey thanks for the site, Martin (may I call you that?). I will definitely keep checking those flowers till I see fruit and try that recipe. It looks delicious! Thanks again.

~ Devin ~